Which Office Laptop should I get?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Atlasland, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Atlasland macrumors 6502

I am about to start work at a new firm, having just graduated. The firm is an accountancy firm, and I'll be working in audit. There will probably be some travelling, though not much.

Anyway, I get the choice of one of 2 Laptops & one of 3 Laptop bags:

[​IMG]

Anyway, I was looking for some advice. I have to pretty much decide by tomorrow.

Basically the difference between the two laptops is screen size. And that is usually important for me. I plumped for the 20" iMac, after all.

However I like the idea of better portablility. I hate big things, I like smaller dinkier things.

So, do you think the extra 2 inches of screen estate is worth it? Is the .5 kg difference in weight really going to make much difference.

Any advice, much appreciated.

N.B. I don't know who the manufacturer is. Unfortunately not Apple :rolleyes: Probably Dell :(

2. wingsky macrumors member

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure they're HP laptops. Whilst not Dell, it's pretty close! :p

As you don't specify what kind of auditing you are doing (small/large business), I would go for the lightweight. So even if you get a headache from working in XP all the time, you wont get a back ache lugging a larger laptop around.

You'll probably be working in excel and access quite a bit. Both the 12" and 14" there have XGA resolution, so it won't be as though you're getting more real-estate with the larger one.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

wingsky makes, I think, the main point here. It's not the size of the screen so much as it is the resolution of the screen. If you're not getting anymore pixels, than you aren't going to be any more productive with the bigger laptop...unless you have an easier time seeing the screen or something. Go with the 12".

Regarding the bag...be professional and don't get the backpack. Go with either of the other two, although, I'd say the standard one would be fine.

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Where does it say both have XGA resolution, only one does, AFAIK.

Well, good luck. I'd work my butt off, and get a Macbook to replace that and just use Boot Camp with a huge hard drive. :)

To answer your question, the lightweight. :)

5. wingsky macrumors member

you're right benthewraith, only the 14" says it's XGA. However considering it's a smaller screen, and from HP, I think it's pretty much a given that it's going to be XGA..

I agree that it would be much nicer to carry round a macbook w/ bootcamp than one of those... the OP should check with his firm whether he is allowed to use his own equipment. I know at the place I work they're very strict on IT issues, and since he'll be doing auditing - carrying around client's financial/asset information I'd imagine they would want to ensure that it is kept on their own hardware alone.

6. Atlasland thread starter macrumors 6502

How can you tell? If you can see the logo on those pictures, you have bloody good eyesight!

It's large - Big 4 firm - how does that alter things? Most of my work will probably be in London (where I will be based).

Yes, if thats the case, then I would definately take the 12". How sure are you that those laptops would have the same resoloution.

Wish I could - but as wingsky pointed out, it is unfortunately not an option.:(

I was tempted by the backpack, because I was thinking of buying a bag for office papers etc., so having 2 bags would be unwieldy. That's why I thought the rucksack. Also, it's the default choice of the firm - i.e. its kind of what they recommend.

Thanks for the replies so far - very useul. Especially the part about screen resoloution - would never have worked that out for myself.

7. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

IF you are going for portability get the 12" and the backpack, other wise I would go with the 12" and the middle carrying case if the case has a shoulder strap, if it does not get the backpack...

8. wingsky macrumors member

Ah... I got it wrong :eek: They aren't HP lappys, but Packard Bell, my bad!

I don't think you should go to with the rolling case, it gives off an air of pretentiousness, for example introducing yourself with your qualifications...

"Hi my name is Joe Bloggs FCMA BA MBA" :D

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd go for the 14" laptop.

Yes, the resolution on both laptops is going to be the same, but the numbers on the 14" will appear larger, and if you need to stare at your screen and play with numbers all day, which is what I did on my 12" PB when analyzing my research data, then the larger screen will just make the text easier to see.

10. After G macrumors 68000

After G

14". Your eyes will thank you later.

Backpack. Laptop-shaped cases are eyed more by thieves. Less chance of getting your equipment stolen.

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

If you're going to be traveling a lot, go with the lighter one.

We get audited a lot (various state insurance departments annually and accountants) and always supply them with nice 17" LCDs for their laptops.

12. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

When it comes to laptops for work i would always recommend buying a a smaller laptop, you want to carry something light around the office.

13. Atlasland thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I decided to get the lightweight laptop with the rucksack bag.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Greatly appreciated.

Atlasland

14. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I just bought a backpack for my latop and took it to a trip to London with me and i find them much more usefull then normals ones. The amount of stuff i can carry is scary.

Laptop, cleaing products, full size mouse, external HD (300GB), ipod and ipod accessories and more.

My 2 cents/

15. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I bought a laptop backpack. Much, MUCH safer than a case. ;)

16. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

That typeface...those laptops...those bags - they all look horriby familiar :eek:

I've got a funny feeling I might be seeing you around the office in the near future. :)

17. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

How so?i dont see how they are safer.

18. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

19. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Perhaps safer in that nobody expects a backpack to be carrying a laptop? Or maybe safer in that it's a lot harder to swipe a backpack from someone's hand than right off their back.

20. Atlasland thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm...

Are you an incoming graduate recruit, or somebody who is currently working there?

If its the latter - any tips/advice? Also, which laptop would you have recommended?

21. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I've been there 5 years now, also in audit. Both of those laptops are better than the one I've got, which is a chunky Compaq thing. I would probably have gone for the standard as the screen on the lightweight one is smaller and darker, but to be honest there is not that much in it. You can normally get a 2nd screen for use in the office through IT services anyway.

If you've got any questions, just drop me a PM. :)

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Go for the 14' and the bag in the middle.....good to go.

Bless

23. Atlasland thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I was hoping.

Thanks.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ooooh ooooh, does this Big 4 accounting firm start with a "D", and rhyme with "Elloite"?? :p

And it is a big company, so there's a chance you may be working in different companies, no?

25. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I'd go with the one with the internal CD-ROM drive.

Externals are a pain in the ass.