Which one 14" iBook or 12" PB Superdrive? And should I wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by persianpunisher, Jul 31, 2005.

1. persianpunisher macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey, I need a computer for school (it starts in a month), and havent decided on which one entirely. I am have been a devout PC user, who ALMOST switched back in 01, but didnt. I was pretty happy with my decision, and Tiger is making me switch.

Anyway, I plan using it for mostly school(typing, taking notes. presentations), but I would like to burn DVDs, CDs, and the very occasional game (WoW) and photoshop. I really like the new iBook, but was wondering if there was a way to upgrade the video card, or if the iBook is right for me? Given, that I can get an iBook with 1GB of RAM and a 100GB hard drive for about the same price as a base Superdrive PB.

Now, the Powerbook is a bit faster, and has a better video card, but is it worth it? I mean, couldnt i get a faster computer for the same price? Why Should I go with the PB?

Then there is the question of when the new PBs will be updated. If I were to get a new PB, how long do you think it would last me before I should trade it in, or should I wait for the new PBs to come? I need a computer soon though.

THanks folks for all of your help to come
  2. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    I assume you know about the student union promo right (free iPod with a Mac)?

You cannot upgrade the video card on the iBook. IMO, the iBooks is a better bargain for the money. The PB has more performance essentially all the way around. If you need that performance, you're going to have to pay for it. For games, I would assume the PB will perform better. I have no real knowledge about playing games on Macs though.

The PB and iBook are very close but the PB should last you a bit longer. Most Mac users can easily pull out 3 years of use. I'm sure each model will easily last you that long provided you don't want to always have the latest model.

Most likely the PB will not see an update till late September. I would recommend not waiting till then because you can take advantage of the student union promo now. That really makes now the best time to buy, unless money really is not an object.
  3. persianpunisher thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2005
    Yeah, that promo thing is good. I plan on using it for 4 yrs at the least, I am currently on my 4 year old 1.8ghz Dell desktop that still runs great. Just great. I do wish it was portable though
  4. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    For me, the new iBook is a money saver. I was going to get a 12" PB / 768MB RAM/ 60GB HD / Combo for $1467 with Edu pricing. The old iBooks needed a lot of upgrades to make it like the computer that I wanted so the price difference was only like $150 to $200 and the PB was a lot faster. Now the updated iBooks I can get the 12" iBook / 1GB RAM / 60GB / Combo for only $1129. That is a savings of about ~$338. I don't need to hook up my laptop to a external monitor or clamshell mode and also don't really game. Just iTunes, Safari, Office, and PhotoShop Elements every now and then. I think that I can live with a 4200 RPM harddrive for my uses.

I plan on using this computer for many years and the way I have it outfitted in my sig is going to last me a while. It will be a big upgrade for me because I am currently using and Dell XPS T450 Pentium 3 450MHz / 512 MB PC100 RAM / 13.6GB 7200 RPM HD / 6x DVD-ROM / 12x8x32 CD-RW / Radeon 7500 64MB RAM / Windows 98 SE.

This new iBook will teach my 6 year old Dell a lesson or two about true computing.
  5. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2005
    New York, NY
    I would say to get the Powerbook. I have an iBook and the video card is really lacking. You can't update it either. The powerbook will probably last longer and it should beable to do what you stated for the next four years. I don't think you have enough time to wait for the update so I would go with the current PB. Take it from me.... the iBook doesn't always cut it the way you want it too. The 64MB of VRAM will last much longer than the 32MB since you're concerned about it being useful in the future. I'd go Powerbook....
  6. Jojitsu macrumors newbie

Jul 26, 2005
    Best advice I can give you, try both out at an apple store if you can.

I did that just today between the 14' ibook and the 12' pb... and hands down, I just felt better with the powerbook.

In fact, that's what I'm typing on right now... and damn... it feels soo good.
  7. ajampam macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2005
    I just picked up a new 12' PB recently....and I am COMPLETELY satisfied with it. I did consider the iBook, but the VRAM can make a difference in the long run...that too most good PCs come with atleast that much, so you would left behind in the future....but the iBook updates may entice you though....bottom line, if you aare ready to dish out the $...PB all the way.... :D
  8. persianpunisher thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2005
    Alas, I live in SLC, so there are NO apple stores. I dont know of anyone who has the new 14", and my buddy who JUST got the PB with all the stuff I want, is going away to college, so I wont get to see it. Rats.
  9. persianpunisher thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 28, 2005
    And yeah, WHY THE HELL did apple put such a ****** GPU in the ibook? WE WANT TO PLAY WOW DAMMIT!