Which one is a better deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rstroud, Jul 13, 2004.

1. rstroud macrumors regular

Okay folks, I've got a dilemna:

Get a B&W G3 300, no OS, 64 megs of ram, keyboard, mouse...for 145 dollars

or

Get a B&W G3 300, 9.2.2, 320 megs of ram, keyboard, mouse..for 185 dollars

or

wait a little bit to get a 400.

I need to also get OSX, and I have 256 megs of ram to go in whatever I get. Now...should I get a cheaper one and overclock and upgrade the video card or just wait for a nicer deal to come along. I can spend about 200 bucks.

Thanks!

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I'd go with the one that has the OS and extra RAM. You can never add too much RAM as it improves speed dramatically.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

3. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

A little more info is needed.

First, do you already have an install disc for os9?

Second, what is the ram configuration of the second machine?

If the ram in the second machine is in a poor configuration (such as 128, 64, 64, 64) and you don't have an install disc - buy the second machine.

If the ram in the second machine is in a good configuration (such as 256, 64, 0, 0) and you have an install disc - buy the first machine.

There's more possibilities there.. but I'm not going to go through them. Weigh the costs of your desired ram, with the cost of your time & OS installation... my gut says get the second one, unless the ram configuration sucks. ;)

4. jenniff macrumors member

I don't get it, why would you buy a computer with no OS if you don't have an install disc, and why would you care if you had an install disc for the second machine that has the OS?

5. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

You wouldn't, it was a typo. Always proof read. :)

What's important is that the B&W machines have 4 ram slots and max out at 1GB of ram, so if there isn't a 256mb chip in the second machine... its prolly not worth buying. You're going to want to max the ram out in this thing, so you'd just end up throwing the other ram out (or ebaying it, whatever). Its $40 freaking dollars... I'm done thinking about it.