Which one is the best to replace my old macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by plumers, Jun 17, 2004.

1. plumers macrumors member

What do you think the best

Sell my ibook clamshell and get emac or ibook know
    -or-
    Sell my PC (P4 2.4GHz) and get G4 or iMac
    -or-
    sell both of them and get G5

Please Explain why?

I want to move from Win to Mac. Macintosh is more fun and less pain. Windows drives me crazy especially those *bleep* pop-ups and have to restart everytime I install a new software or change settings (such real pain)

2. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

Give us a little more info here. What do you want to do with the computer? AND how important is portablity to you?

I would certainly say go for the iBook rather than the eMac if only because an iBook can do all an eMac can do AND it's wonderfully portable. iBooks are very solid, reiable laptops with an amazing battery life.

On the other hand, if you're angling for a desktop, wait till July and go for the new iMacs. Rumor is that the new iMacs will be announced at the end of this month and will be G5's.

3. svenr macrumors regular

I guess you should start with what type of computer you NEED. Do you need a portable or a desktop? Is entry level enough for you or do you need the most power you can get?

I mean you're giving us options here that are all over the place, from one extreme end (eMac) to the other (G5) withouth saying anything about what you wanna use it for. I don't think anyone can give you a meanigful answer like that.

Figure out what you need/want first, then the rest of your question solves itself.

4. svenr macrumors regular

I'd be very cautious about basing my purchase decision on rumors. No announcement has been made about iMac in July. And somehow I seriously doubt there will be G5 iMacs anytime soon when IBM is still trying to work out the teething problems of its new G5 production process and Apple is still selling G4 PowerMacs in its store. Apple has always been very good at upsetting rumors.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

If you're looking at a new Mac, then I'd say you'd have to sell the iBook and the P4, then come up with the other half of the eMac money yourself.

6. plumers thread starter macrumors member

Portability - not really necessary because my office already give me IBM Thinkpad
    Space saver - 5/5 (I will move to apts in Little Tokyo this summer, it's going to be smaller)
    Performance - 4/5 (fast for internet and photoshop stuff)
    Design - who cares :p
    Simple and User Friendly - 3/5 (I like something challenging)
    Strength and Durability - 5/5 (I'm careless person)

I think I will need desktop, I already have Thinkpad and PowerBook. iMac will use G5 Processor chip, they're not even have enough space for the processor chip and the cooling itself (I saw G5 desktop at Best Buy and it took half of the case only just for the processor chip and cooling stuff). Btw, which one is the best for me (G4, imac or emac) and which one do I have to sell (PC, ibook clam, or PB)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The eMac has the advantage of having come off an update really recently. It gives you a lot of performance for the cost -- superdrive, etc. Can you live with a CRT (I ask cuz I'm not sure I can anymore :()?

But it'll give you a lot of stuff to play with and it's a lil faster than most of the iBooks. And probably harder to physically destroy in case you're not joking about that!

Sounds like you'll have a hard time fitting an eMac and a PC tower in the apt though. Does yout t-pad cover you for everything you need on PC or is there any software you can't/don't have on it that you need the tower for?

EDIT: wait, I read your post more carefully...so you already have a SD PB and a T-pad from work...so why do you need another Mac anyway? What's an eMac going to do that the PB doesn't already do for you? Maybe you should sell them and splurge on accessories/niceties if you don't already have them, like AE, bluetooth mouse/keyboard, new speakers, software, etc....

8. wide macrumors 6502a

seeing as how you have a powerbook 17 inch, i assume portability is already covered. if you are ready to make the transition to only PCs, then I would sell both the P4 and the clamshell and buy a new G5.

9. plumers thread starter macrumors member

mkrishnan - I think you were right! Why don't I sell all of my ibook and Tower. buy an imac or emac or ibook and upgrade them with Apple Pro speakers (JBL I guess), wireless keyboard, iGo Stand, Airport card and also some other stuff that I don't have it right now (software too). I don't need macs that much, saves some space too, my apts is going to be half smaller of my apt right now. So which one is better for me ibook snow, emac (CRT is not really problems for me as long as the screen is flat), or imac

FYI: My T-Pad (not mine actually but my office told me to keep it for a while) and tower doesn't do like PB does to me even though my both PCs has a bunch of software loaded in it, almost same spec and performance. PB is for travelling across the country (I travel a lot)

10. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

I will grant that this is a rumor, and that yes, it's not good to decide on rumors--HOWEVER, Plumers need only wait till the end of the month to find out if it's *just* a rumor or if there any basis to it. Either new iMacs with or without G5 processers will be announced at the end of June or they won't. My advise is simply to wait another two weeks and see what is announced...or not before purchasing a new computer.

11. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Double check what you can get for your computers if you will need to sell them to buy your Macs. The PC and the iBook together might cover a refurbed eMac if you're lucky--or maybe a new eMac with student discount (if you qualify). Otherwise you're putting up some cash.

What's wrong with your 17" PowerBook? If portability isn't an issue then why not sell that? It's the only computer you've got that's worth much.

12. plumers thread starter macrumors member

do you guys know where to buy refurb or used macs other than ebay?

13. unfaded macrumors 6502

You can buy refurb macs from Apple - look for a "great deals" section or something.