which one should i buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yklxcq, Jun 22, 2005.

1. yklxcq macrumors member

yklxcq

The sony i mentioned later can be found in the following URI:http://www.sonystyle.co.nz/shop_det...46&sku=VGNS48GP
    Video card: not quite sure about this, sony got ATI6200 (128MB), 15' PB got ATI9700(64MB), do u guys know which is better?>>>>>> do not know
    Max Ram support: both 2GB.
    CPU:1.5G(PB) vs 2.0G(sony)>>>>>sony win
    FSB:167 vs 533 >>>>>sony win
    Price(new zealand dollar): PB $3750, sony $3699.95($3700)
    Optical drive:pB got Combo drive, sony got ( DVD+-RW Drive (supports DVD+R double layer disc))
    Hard disk: both 5400rmp, But PB 15' is 80 GB, sony only got 60GB, However, sony use Serial ATA, PB is ATA, IMO, SATA is better than ATA, right?not sure, so u guys help me about this one, which is better.
    DISPLAY: PB got larger screen 15', sony only have 13.3', both wide screen, however, sony got Clear Bright LCD. can not say which is better, help me about this as well, thx.
    wireless: PB has the standard named 802.11b, but sony got Integrated Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11b/g, are they same?which is better?
    And i think from the perspective of keyboard, appearance, PB win.
    And the other major thing is sony use CPee, but PB use tiger, PB win lot.
    And the software that come with PB (ilife,etc) are much better than sony, so PB win.
    However, the following thing is the most thing i am concern, although the software come with sony is lot worse than PB, then as i need the PB for school, and we need use J2EE, PHP, do you think mac platform is a suit for this kind of web stuff?
    Does Xcode support J2EE,Or PHP? Can someone give me some good editor can handle the thing i mentioned above nicely.
    sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Sounds like you want a PowerBook to me.

I've had a couple of Sony laptops - nice, but not Apple nice.

3. yklxcq thread starter macrumors member

yklxcq

thanks for the replay.
    How do u find the screen of sony? i have seen them couple times, really nice :p Will u feel the screen is too bright if you use it at home? cheers

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If you don't want to play hardcore games (Doom3), Powerbook's video can is great.

Comparing CPU's by GHZ and MHz is not right, cuz these are entirely different chips that run entirely different OSes

The FSB speed difference is almost unnoticable in real world

If you want to burn DVDs, get a SuperDrive for PowerBook, otherwise Combo will be fine.

You will appreciate the bigger screen PB has :)

You should ask yourself: do you need slight speed improvement or extra 20 GB of storage? Yes SATA disks are slightly faster.

Why do you think that PB has 802.11b wireless standard? 15-inch AlBooks had 802.11g since 1st revision! (802.11b is 11Mbps, while 802.11g is 54 Mbps)

Not sure about those PHPs, as I dont use it, I cant help you with this :(

Yes PB has much MUCH better software and Tiger! :D

Get PowerBook, you'll love it!

5. iGary Guest

iGary

The screen on the Sony I had was beautiful. Not too bright.

6. yklxcq thread starter macrumors member

yklxcq

thx for replying :p
    Just need to know Does anyone here use Mac for J2EE, as i will mainly work with internet stuff, do u think mac platform is good for developing internet stuff?
    I bought a ibook last year, and the school ask us must use J2SE1.5, but during that time, J2SE was available for other platforms EXCEPT for Mac os x, that was reason i sold my ibook eventually, Thus i really hate that kind of situation. :mad:

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Good luck in finding support for that "J2SE2" I really have no clue of what that is :confused:

8. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

I do all my php by hand in the terminal and use the built in apache server with php module to do testing locally. I'm not sure about editors for php, but I have been doing php mysql backends for a year now in terminal with no problems whatsoever.

9. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

If you have a mac for developing make sure you TEST EVERYTHING ON A PC!

Especially Java, because there are some things that are just screwball about mac java and pc java stuff. I have had some problems in the past.

And always remember: 90% of all internet requests will be from ie running on a pc...

10. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Well that depends on the audience of the site, cuz if his site is Mac-themed, then of course more than 10 % of requests will be Mac-users.