Which One to Buy???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gamerz, Dec 9, 2006.

1. gamerz macrumors 6502

gamerz

Hello everyone... I am currently a 2nd year university student and very new to mac's (never have had one). I wanted to buy one, but i didnt know which one to get for my needs. Here are the ones that i was looking at:

Apple iMac $1349 model (canada site)

and cheapest macbook except with added 1G

note: Portability doesnt matter... i dont need to take it to classes.

Thanks

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I had the same problems deciding...

Then I remembered if I am going to spend this kind of money on such a beautiful piece of equipment I'd better be able to take it everywhere to show off- not just my own house! So I will be buying the macbook this weekend/next weekend.

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

iMac

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

either one, both are about the same, the imac will have better graphics if you play games... which one are you look at the 17/20/24? Either way the screen will be bigger....

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

What do you plan to use it for?

In general, if portability isn't an issue, the iMac would be my recommendation because you'll get more bang for your buck in a desktop. But often people underestimate their desire for portability...you may want to do work on your bed, or in a coffee shop, or at the library. So think carefully about whether you might end up wanting to do that.

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

If you don't need it for class then...

+1 for iMac.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

iMacs definitely give you the best bang for your buck in features and performance.

I'd go for the 20" or 24" iMac C2D, 2 GB RAM stock HD and spring for the upgraded VRAM if you can.

The 17" WS is nice but the 20" or 24" are much better for page layouts, multi-tasking, pro application control windows and gaming.

8. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

I agree with WildCowboy, you may want portability more than you think. Right now i'm at college typing on my iMac, and I kinda wish I'd gotten a laptop. If I had a laptop, I could bring it to the library, to classes, home on vacations...

I'd recommend the MacBook - it's lots of bang for your buck. Just make sure you get at least 1 gig of RAM :D

9. Irish Dave macrumors regular

I too would recommend the Mac Book. Rather than leave an iMac alone, you can take the MB with you to classes, library etc. It takes up so little room and is easy to hide. From a security point of view the MB wins hands down.

On the other hand .........

Dave :)

10. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

"from a security point of view, the macbook wins"??!? that doesn't make too much sense... the macbook can be taken all over the place and is easily carried away. no one is taking my iMac from my room, i'm pretty confident (at least much more confident than I would be with a laptop).

11. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I was a bit confused when he said that too. The MB can be easily taken away if on campus/cafe/etc.