Which one to choose MBP or MacMini with 23"ACD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jordygreen, Dec 30, 2006.

1. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

Ok so here's thing i have been a windows computer user all my life since 95 and have being testing Vista and its ridiculous! So i want to switch apple. I do photograhy, graphic design, web design, college essays and stuff and plus the net and listen to music, but i may also plug my bass into it play around in garageband. Im look at spending about £1200 with the apple NUS student discounts.

So my choice is between portability or slightly portable.

The MacBook Pro was my first choice the 15" 2.16GHz one at stock details.

or

Mac Mini (the high end spec one) with the 23" ACD with no matter what wireless keyboard and mouse.

with teh 23" i could spend £44 more and get 1GB but is that enough for MacMini and OS X
    One question is how easy is it put in new RAM in Mac Mini because i know its fairly easy to do on MBP.

I like lots of windows up thats why im contenplating the 23" BUt when leopard comes out with spaces will i need it im not sure.

I would like to get some feedback on what you think i should do. But please bear in mind im in College not Uni yet so im not away from home and at the college they have one room full of about 100 mac pro'swith 20" ACD's. =]

So would it be more sensible to go for a MacBook Pro or the MacMini seen as though im not in uni yet and th college is a 30mins bus drive away.

Thank You!

2. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

MacBook Pro - better processor (Core 2 Duo), graphics card (not shared memory), firewire 800, etc., etc.

You can always plug the MBP into an external monitor to give more screen real-estate - it doesn't only mirror your laptop screen it can split the screen in two - half on laptop half on external monitor - so there is plenty more to play with if you only get a 15" display.

3. jordygreen thread starter macrumors 6502

jordygreen

Well at the moment i only have a 19" Widecreen monitor which is at the same rsolution as the 15" MBP. Within time i may purchase teh ACD do you think the MBP is a safe bet to last me say about 2-3 years?

4. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I'd go for the Macbook and put the money saved towards a 23" ACD or Dell monitor. For the things you're gonna use it for, I can't see where the extra graphics power a MBP has over an MB would come in useful. Plus it's even more portable.

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

MBP, however i think you should wait till after MWSF. Since the minis and the displays are most likely gonna be updated.

6. kermit4161 macrumors regular

If you are going to be using it for photos and graphics, you'll definitely need to bump up the RAM to max capacity in the Mac mini. It really isn't that hard to do though... you just need a putty knife to get the cover off. There is a good "how to" video over at OWC's web site (www.macsales.com).

But even with maxed out RAM, you'll still suffer from the graphics card while doing graphic intensive work. But it is liveable... just frustrating.

But overall, I'd say get the MacBook Pro. It has a better processor, more useable RAM (not shared as stated earlier) and a better graphics card. Plus, you can throw on an external monitor and more than double up your screen real estate. You can throw all of your palattes on one monitor and use the other strictly for workspace... it totally rocks.

I think that the MBP will also be more versatile for you once you get to University. All in all, IMHO, it'd give you more bang for the buck.

7. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i agree, get the MacBook. it's just as powerful as the MBP (except for the graphics, but they're still pretty good), it's more portable, you'll save a lot of money.

whatever you do, you were right about needing RAM. Get as much as possible, you sound like a real power user I'd recommend 2 gigs (not necessary, but you'd appreciate it. 1 gig is necessary at least).

EDIT: also, I don't know about anyone else but Spaces intimidates me. a lot. I wouldn't count on it too much for window management, it sounds very confusing and kindof annoying. an external display would be great for you.

8. jordygreen thread starter macrumors 6502

jordygreen

right well from this wonderful info i think the best choice for me would be purchasing MBP also do you know if i should wait for abit to see if they get upgraded?

9. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

They wont be upgagraded for a bit the just got core 2 and intels radmap doesnt have anything until spring. I would however say get a macbook and once you have money again get a 23" ACD

10. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

before you get an MBP, list the reasons you need one over a Macbook. I don't think you do, but it's important that you don't just buy it "cuz it's better"; it's not that much better.

ALSO, nobody knows what will happen at MacWorld. you should definitely wait until after Jan. 9th to make your purchase.

11. elcerrito494 macrumors member

Get the MBP. Since you're doing graphic design, etc., it is your best bet with the dedicated graphics card.

12. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

Get a Macbook Pro, Mac mini's aren't going to give you very good performance. Also, you could always buy a third party display.

13. madyaks macrumors member

madyaks

Just wondering if you can go with just a little more money, a iMac refurb would kick ass for you..

Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SuperDrive
    1GB (2x512MB) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
    250GB Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load 8x double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT with 128MB GDDR3 memory
    Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
    Built-in iSight Camera and Apple Remote

$1699

14. MacAnkka macrumors regular

I wouldn't get a MacBook because of it's glossy screen. Doing anything that has to do with colors and precision on it is not a good idea. The glossy screen REALLY exaggerates the colors -- and while images look awesome on the screen -- they will look usually a lot different when printed or transferred to a computer with a calibrated display.

A MBP with a matte screen would be a better choice, but I really suggest you to wait till MWSF. Who knows what they will release there and it isn't that far away anyways.

15. jordygreen thread starter macrumors 6502

jordygreen

yes thats what i read thats why id want to get a matte screen so teh colours are how they actually will look when printed out, which bearing in mind im looking for a new printer if someone could recommend me a good one yet mid range price about $140-190.

I have also thought baout teh iMac but just i think i will need the portability and also my family we like to travel to spain alot because we have a house there and a laptop wiuld be great to keep me getting bored on the plane flight.

I would use the MacBook pro for:
    Graphic Design
    Audio Editing
    Video Editing(a little of it anyway)
    Photography editing/transferring
    Browsing the net
    Instant Messaging
    Downloading
    Listening to music.

And from that what i do alot i think i would need a MBP to keep up with what i want to do on it.

16. Silentwave macrumors 68000

planning to use Aperture at all? If the answer is yes, get the MBP.

17. jordygreen thread starter macrumors 6502

jordygreen

Yes i was planning on using Aperture i read everywhere that its a fantastic tool when you get to knowyour way around it and stuff. I just seen a photo of someones set up the mac set up thread with a MBP and a 24" Dell monitor and that could save me a few bucks here and there so i may go with that and it looks alright too. for like adesktop when i come home. As the MBP is more powerful than my desktop at the moment :(