Which one would you perceive as the greatest value?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by talmania, Jan 8, 2007.

1. talmania macrumors newbie

I'm having alot of fun trying to decide on what configuration to go with so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Knowing the following facts and given the following specs which would you perceive as the greatest value:

Assumption 1: You already have a 24" Dell Widescreen Monitor.
    Assumption 2: You already have a nice DVI/USB KVM that will work for the video.
    Assumption 3: You will be buying Final Express HD packaged with the system for some light, strictly amateur home video work.

Candidates:

1: mac pro
    Dual 2.00 DC Xeons
    1GB RAM (with aftermarket 1GB upgrade)
    250GB
    7300GT
    16x Superdrive
    Bluetooth + APE
    Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
    AppleCare
    Price: $2452.00 + aftermarket RAM

2: iMac 24"
    2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM
    250GB
    7600GT
    8x Superdrive
    Bluetooth + APE
    Wireless Keyboard & Mouse
    Applecare
    Price: $2442.00

3. MacBook Pro 15"
    2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM
    160GB
    6x SuperDrive
    Bluetooth + APE
    AppleCare
    Price $2,385.00

4. MacBook 13"
    2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB RAM
    160GB
    6x Superdrive
    Keyboard
    Mini-DVI
    Applecare
    Price: $1,928.00
    Bluetooth & APE

2. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I would probably go the MBP, but I would also get an external hard drive

3. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

In that price range, I think the 24" iMac is the best buy... although the Mac Pro will definitely have a speed advantage when it comes to encoding video.

If there's any way you can save up a little more - the 2.66GHz Mac Pro would certainly be your best option for video editing.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Think of it this way.

OSX notwithstanding, the iMac is just a slower version of an equivalent Dell Core 2 Duo PC, the Macbook is just a Core 2 Duo laptop without a GPU, and the Macbook Pro is just another Core 2 Duo lappie with a soon to be obsolete GPU.

The Mac Pro on the other hand truly stands in a class of its own, and hence IMO it is the only one that is truly worthy of its value. Everything else in the comparison can be replaced with a much cheaper PC.

5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Even though it is more than you need, spend the extra $10 and buy the Mac Pro.

6. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

TheManOfSilver

If you even think you might want portability, then obviously the MBP is the way to go. With your KVM and 24" monitor, you've got an instant decent desktop for basic stuff.

If you don't need portability, then I'd agree with iWoot and say get the Mac Pro ... if for no other reason than for future upgradeability. You could swap out the processors for 8- or 16-core (assuming pin-compatibility) in 3 years time and upgrade RAM and GPU to your heart's content ... tough time doing that with any other option.

7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

id go with the macpro, it will be alot faster, easier to upgrade and being only $10 more than the imac, well, go for it!

8. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo