Which online photo service is the best?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by powerboy, Jan 6, 2007.

1. powerboy macrumors regular

I am wondering what services people like (or don't like) for online photo printing and hosting - like SnapFish, PhotoBucket, etc. My mom has a ton of photos she wants to upload and print. What service do you think is the best (i.e. price, quality, service, ease of uploading, etc.). Opinions and experiences appreciated. Thanks.

2. bentley macrumors 6502

I like what the paid Flickr account offers.
    The free one is very limited though.

For free I'd use Picasa from Google.

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I use Picasa and it is free. I think they have a printing service too.

4. flipper38 macrumors newbie

I vote Flickr

You can't beat their organizing tools. The storage is a bit limited on the free account, but the easy of use is awesome.

5. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I've been using Photobucket for about 6 months. It's good.
    I tried Snapfish and Picassa lately. Both resized my photos too much. I don't like them.
    Photobucket is quite flexible as far as size goes, is easy to use and is generous with the free capacity, but...lately it hesitates and/or gets stuck when I upload (or try to). Were it not for that one thing, I'd recommend it without reserve.
    I'd like to read more opinions, so I'll watch the thread with interest.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

www.mpix.com

The best. Too bad I can't use their service because I don't live in America.

7. FDX macrumors regular

www.Shutterfly.com has been the best for me. Quality is great and the turn around time on printing the books is less than a week. Plus no limts on uploaded files. You can also upload straight from iphoto.

8. semicharmed macrumors regular

Winkflash!
    The pictures come out great, very little shift in colors from what the picture looks like onscreen.
    Plus, there's no charge to download the full-res version of the picture back from the website-which means people who can see my shared album can download the full size image rather than the scaled version from snapfish, shutterfly, photobucket, etc.

9. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

seconded.

10. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I used Photobucket a lot about a year ago, and then I didn't use it again until last month. (free account). The pictures are slower than before to upload, but videos didn't even seem like they were uploading.

11. Whistleway macrumors 6502

12. iPegboy macrumors regular

I've had great results from Shutterfly, but had one shipping snafu (they corrected it though). They seem to be offering a ton of deals all the time (free prints or free shipping, etc).

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've been nothing but pleased with them. :)

14. powerboy thread starter macrumors regular

I like how Picasa and Shutterfly have plug-ins that allow you to directly upload from iPhoto. Do any other services have iPhoto plug-ins (I know flickr has a third-party plug-in you can buy)?

15. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I have galleries with both imageevent and pbase. imageevent is far more reliable. I've had too many bugs and issues with Pbase, so I never upload to them anymore, and will probably just allow my account there to expire.

16. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I use snapfish.com. Go on slickdeals.net and find the snapfish page with coupon codes. I always order 20 free prints at a time with a free shipping code and never pay for anything. :D

17. DCBass macrumors 6502

After trying a few options, my wife and I have decided that PhotoWorks is best for us.

It's fairly easy to upload pictures, easy to keep them organized, and the prints come out pretty good too. For xmas we made a couple of photobooks online (they seemed to have the best options and value) which were a big hit at both of our families.

I keep on reading about flickr though. It sounds nice and all, but what kind of printing options do I have? Also, the limits on the free account is lame compared to the unlimited storage and printing options from photoworks, snapfish, kodak, etc.

Good luck. Let us know what you go with.

-DCBass