Which OS X Games support dual monitors?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ZildjianKX, Jul 9, 2003.

1. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I have never tried playing any OS X games with dual monitors, so I wasn't sure which ones actually support the 2nd monitor or not... if they don't support dual monitors, does the 2nd monitor just shut off?... :confused:

2. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure if it isnt supported your secondary monitor has a black screen....

3. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Anyone know of any games that work with dual monitors?

4. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Jeez, is the mac THAT bad for games that no one has played any? No one knows of any dual monitor games? :(

5. Anticipat3 macrumors regular

I've done it.

Quake III supports it and you can span (not that you'd want to, as any dual monitor gaming is totally useless) or mirror, for most other games that I've played you can select which screen you want to use, and the other one just stays at your desktop. Warcraft III does this, as does AOE2. Shadowbane works the same way as Warcraft III also, except the second screen just turns black.

Multi Monitor gaming is absolutely senseless anyhow. I've played quake 3 on a tri-head parhelia setup... and it was just plain annoying. In an RTS it might be better, except it would give you such a huge advantage that no game designer would ever implement it. IMO, even using a 17" iMac gives you quite an advantage, as you can see more of the battlefield at any given time than anyone using a standard aspect ratio monitor as opposed to a widescreen.

Anyways... Yes, it's possible, but Yes, it's also useless.

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I think Anticipat3 has it right on the nose. I have dual monitors and game a lot and have found few games that support both. But when I do find one, I disable it because it just makes the game harder. If you want to play on with more viewable area, get a widescreen 23". That should suit you just fine.

P-Worm

7. ZildjianKX thread starter macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Thanks for the response guys. I guess the only games that would be cool to support them like WC3 or Sim City 4 don't... oh well, cool thought though.

8. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

9. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

I think dual monitors would be good for MMORPGs since they tend to have alot of window/menus that take up the screen