which osx backup app should i use?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by zimv20, Oct 30, 2002.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

on os9, i used CopyAgent to perform automatic backups. this program is not available for osx.

i'm wondering what everyone's using.

i'm using .mac to back up 20 meg of my most valuable stuff.

but for all my user data, i've got about 30 gig that i can back up to an external firewire drive. i'd like something that allows me to back up different folders w/ different options (e.g. schedule, copy policies).

thanks!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know the backup.app with .Mac will let you backup to CD/DVD as well as your iDisk, does it not let you backup to external firwire drives too?

[edit]Also take a look here at some of the avaliable backup applications.[/edit]

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

it does not.

even if it did, it doesn't allow for separate configurations.

e.g. i have it set up to back up my 20 meg of super-important stuff to .mac, but i'd need another config for my 30 gig Home dir for the ext. drive (which obviously .mac would puke on)

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i saw that and was surprised by how many choices i had. but now i want to know what people here use to get more anecdotal info.

5. goglamosh macrumors member

From what I have read, Dantz Retrospect is the only way to go. That is what I'm eventually going to use, once i get a Firewire HD.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i d/loaded the free LaCie Silverkeeper and tried it out. scheduling isn't enabled (though there's a screen for it), but otherwise it seems to do just what i need it to.

7. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Carbon Copy Cloner is an option too isn't it? That creates an OS X bootable backup.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've only used Dantz Retrospect on Mac OS and it's always been the best tool for tape backups. It also does back to CD, DVD, and hard drives.

I think you'll find it excellent for your needs as well.