which palm syncs best

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fjs08, Nov 22, 2005.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I want to get myself a Palm device, but I've read conflicting responses about them. Any recommendations? I want something that will sync easily with my Powerbook (Ti-Book), OSX 10.4.3.
    I'll use it mostly to put software apps on. I'm a Pediatrician, and I want to install various reference books, etc. So I guess I need memory?? Not sure how they install, or if I'll need to continually use the books on memory cards.

Thanks.

Frank

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Frank, any Palm device with the current Palm OS will sync fine with your TiBook. You will have to research your software's storage requirement, and purchase a Palm with enough memory to match. I have a Clie that has a slot for a memory card, but I haven't used it yet. If you get a Palm with a memory slot and by a card, I don't think with the increased memory and the apps you'll be installing would require another, separate card.

As far as installation, when you purchase and download the apps, you'll be asked if you want to install them on your next sync. Select yes and your on your way.

My kids' pediatrician is a Mac user, and has a Palm that he keeps drug reference and other info on. I'd be glad to give you his contact info if you'll PM me.

3. powerboy macrumors regular

I am a med student and I have a Palm Tungsten T5. I have been able to put all the programs I want on there using my Power Mac. I believe the T5 has 256MB of memory as well as a SD card expansion slot. The new Palm TX looks pretty nice too but it has less memory then the T5. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I read a review on the Apple Store and someone wrote there that they've had a Tungston T5 for a few months and haven't been able to sync it. It may be the guy and not the Tungston T5???

Frank

5. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

The T5 is a great model, and I have never heard of any major synching issues with Mac OS or Windows, but they have recently replaced it with the Palm TX. Exactly the same as the Tungsten T5, but now has built in wi-fi and only 128MB for the same price.

Personally I prefer the T5, but it is harder to get it now. Here's waiting for a TX2, hopefully with a transcriber feature on it for easier input/mass market appeal. :(

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>The T5 is a great model, and I have never heard of any major synching issues with Mac OS or Windows, but they have recently replaced it with the Palm TX<<

Replaced it like it isn't available?? It's on the Palm web site?? Or am I getting the Palm T/X confused with a Palm T5. I'm thinking of the Tungsten T5.

Thanks.

Frank

7. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

You might want to look for a Bluetooth model, syncing over BT is pretty nice (and you can share internet connection, for whatever that's worth...)

I think you may need Missing Sync (3rd party app) to sync over BT.

8. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I reviewed the products again on the Palm site and I noticed that the T/X has 128 mg of storage while the T5 has 256 mg. I really have no idea what that means. I would be looking to put most likely, about 5 reference books max on the Palm. Would that fit on the T/X w 128 mb?? I know it's hard to say without knowing how large the books are, but is there some frame of reference to gauge this all out?
    Thanks.
    Frank

9. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually, I think I could go with the T/X since it has 128 mg of storage. I found two of the books I want and they take up 4.7 and 3.9 mb respectively, so it looks like I could put a ton of stuff on and never fill up the memory. Plus it has an expansion slot so I could add stuff if I wanted to and I have a bunch of SD disks at home I can erase old photos from to use.
    I think I'm understanding this Palm stuff a bit better now.
    Frank

10. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Definitely take the TX over the T5, the Wifi is a big added feature.

Things like eBooks, reference books, etc. all typically go onto the memory card anyways. But as you point out, the TX probably has enough for you even without a card.

SD cards are super cheap, you can typically get 512MB cards for around $20 after rebates.

11. powerboy macrumors regular

I actually sync my T5 with bluetooth. It works pretty well, although it is slower than using the USB cable. I don't use The Missing Sync, but that might make things easier. I just set up iSync to sync iCal and Address Book with my Palm.