Which parts of Tokyo or Osaka areas are safe, convenient, and affordable?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Sep 23, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I am thinking about moving to Tokyo or Osaka areas in the near future. Can someone suggest the areas which fit the following features?

affordable housing including apartment rentals (relatively speaking)
    safe (less chance of vandalism, burglaries, and auto thefts)
    convenient (to subway, train, and/or bus service)
    close to stores, department stores, and other cultural attractions

I like somewhat "cosmopolitan" atmosphere in the areas I live.

2. bradc macrumors 6502

I lived in Yokohama for a few years it's right beside Tokyo. In fact the two are so close together you can't tell them apart. Tokyo and Yokohama are so incredibly safe. The only crime is from the Mafia. In fact I left the keys in my Car's ignition:eek:

I lived on the 'Bluff' in Yokohama, down one side of the hill is this Korean Village and on the other side is Motomatchi, a shopping area and the train station is right there. So I'd definitely try to live in Yokohama. The train system there is so amazing that everything is close.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What's vandalism? :D

Tokyo is not affordable. You're better off looking anywhere in Kanagawa prefecture or Chiba prefecture, though it's less convenien, I believe. Train stations are a short walk normally or a bus ride from the short walk.

Living in Kawasaki city or Atsugi or a number of other cities, it's easy to get to the Odakyu line, which goes directly to the Odakyu department store near Shinjuku station, along with most of the shopping you'd need. Groceries, of course, are a lot closer.

4. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

How long would it take from your place in YOK to the Tokyo proper and to one of Apple stores in TYO? Do you commute using train? If so, is the rush hour train ride bearable?