which pc laptop to get?

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrannySmith_G5, Sep 28, 2003.

1. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

Ok, here is the deal. I want to get a powerbook, but lack the funds. I just found out I can get a FREE laptop from my job to "do work" on. My first question: Can I get Apple products? Answer: No, we order through a distributor, here is a list to choose from. It seems I can basically get any <$2000 laptop from all the major PC makers. I have no idea which to choose. My gut instinct says to go for one of the IBM thinkpads. I keep researching, but can't seem to find anything that really looks good. Are there any good looking/good battery life/ speedy/ "Well it's not a mac, but this is one sweet laptop" laptops out there? Maybe I should just order one, and sell it unopened, then buy a powerbook? I know the whole time I use whatever I get I'll be so wishing it was a powerbook I had, especially with Panther right around the corner.

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

well if your searching for a pc then perhaps and PC forum would yield better results as mac users tend to be a little biased.
    having said that maybe an alienware or sony vaio would make a good choice for you.

3. GrannySmith_G5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I consider myself to be a "mac user" and am asking here to try and get a perspective from other mac folk who know more than I about the Windows side of things. I myself am definitely very biased regarding the mac/pc thang. yo.

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I would say go for an IBM, they are professional grade laptops imo; I definitely would not go for Dell or Sony, as I have heard both tend to develop keyboard and screen issues.

Hope that helps.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

they are all good enough to get the job done

ibm, toshiba, and sony are highly regarded in a lot of Laptop Magazine reviews

dell is also good and are starting to dominate this market

but beware that sony and ibm are a little more pricey and maybe not that much better or better at all

but i would take a sony pentium 2.4 over a compaq or emachine laptop that was a 2.8 ghz machine at the same price

6. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

IBM or Toshiba, without a doubt. I'd go IBM, but overall, they tend to be a bit more on the pricey side than other brands. My sister has a Toshiba, and overall, it is pretty decent, especially for the price, so I doubt you could go wrong there, either. Hope that helps.

8. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

ibm, are without a doubt, the second best in laptops.
    dells are good machines, but their laptops are huge and bulky, don't get a dell.

9. alxths macrumors 6502

I'll have to agree with most others here--thinkpads are built like tanks... great laptops. Toshibas are well built too, but I really don't like their style.. they seem to lack the simplicity that I appreciate in ibm and apple's laptops.

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

allow me to cast my vote on IBM thinkpads as well. IBM is really good with simple, utilitarian designs. they don't have the aesthetic appeal of apples, but they are easily as sturdy and functional.

11. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

I would say an IBM Thinkpad is the best choice for a PC notebook.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

IBM Thinkpads rule the PC laptop world! Get one!

The new T40 is a sweet laptop.

13. losfp macrumors regular

ThinkPad as a second choice (the PowerBook is my first choice of course!), failing that - a Toshiba is also good. Careful though - both brands mentioned tend to be a bit more expensive, but are rock-solid.

14. GrannySmith_G5 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the advice everyone. You all have helped make my decision. IBM it is. Now hopefully within a year I'll have some loot to get a new p-book(crossing fingers for an early fall '04 g5 release). Thanks again.

15. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I am hoping Apple will release a G5 PB around June. It will be die for an update by then.

16. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

IBM thinkpad is the closest you can get to an Apple Notebook...

I have one myself and I love that machine (Thinkpad 240x)

vSpacken

17. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-GrannySmith_G5

I have a nice spankin' new IBM Thinkpad T30 sitting right here. I chose that over the T40 as it's initial price was lower, and I can get a Mini-PCI (think Airport Extreme-style card) that has 802.11a/b/g. With the Centrinos, you are locked into what they provide in the chipset, and that's 802.11b only for now.

IBM has taken a page from Apple and provided this dedicated slot just like the PowerBooks.

Oh, and it's XP Pro - eeeeexcellent!

So, price+flexibility+IBM=solid choice.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

To get my 2 cents in, I've been looking around, and IBM laptops are probably even better than the PB's, especially the T40 with 7 hour battery life..... :eek:

I'm still deciding between the T40 (pricey!!) or the 12" PB. Either way I come out a winner, except in the pocketbook. Better start saving those pennies. :p

19. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Abstract

Don't feel too bad, to get the 7 hours battery life, the T40 downsteps to 733mhz. And with the mhz myth, that's not very fast (I've confirmed this).

20. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i would DEFINITELY get an ibm with a pentium M chip in it...by far the best pc laptop IMO around

21. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Go Fujitsu for mobility

Well, what are your priorities? Performance? Mobility? For example, when I bought my iBook, mobility and ruggedness were my main criteria. For mobility, Fujitsu makes a 10.6" widescreen that weighs only 3.4 lbs. *with* optical drive, and costs about $1500. Is Fujitsu an option? If so, then I would definitely look into them. At work I've had both IBM and Dell laptops and didn't like either of them.

[edit]

Check out these babies, ranging in price from $1449 to $1799 after rebate:

http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=P5