Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willy S

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
No I´m not trolling! My father -in-law needs a new PC laptop and I´m helping him finding a good one that will last. He does quite a lot of Delphi programming so he cannot use a Mac.

Therefore, I´m asking what would be the most reliable PC laptop for him? He doesn´t need a very fast computer, just one that is likely to last for a long time. He has had a Sony, Toshiba and been very unlucky with all of them.

Any suggestions are appreciated and if some of you has some statistics about failure rate, it would be great.

Thanks!

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
i personally will always keep one pc, and i make it my laptop. i love the HP widescreen ones. Make it either 15.4 wide or 14.1. Gateway is good too. i would advise againnst dell, seems they make laptops really cheap and expensive compared to what you can get with HP.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Toshiba or Dell. Both have done me very well in the past. Sonys are good if you plan on viewing media, otherwise they arent worth the price of admission IMO.

RealDeal

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2004
my 2 cents worth...

My ranking of laptops owned/allocated (best to worst, excluding Apple), is :p Toshiba, Sony, Toshiba, IBM, IBM, Compaq, IBM, IBM, with Dell:mad: at the rear.

This same sequence, strangely:confused: , correlates to a great extent with time (oldest to most recent), except for the Sony which recently was pretty good...

Whatever is chosen, avoid the business lease deals as they are a total rip-off, and the support is just as bad (Dell-Hell):( .

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I've known a bunch of people with HP laptops, and they all seem to love them. Just don't get a Dell, I had one very briefly before it blew up. Literally.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I would reccommend an HP. They are very reliable and they are very well-built.

Definately don't get a Dell. I had a Dell desktop that, like a previous poster's, literally blew up. You can't trust a company whose name rhymes with hell.

Oh, yeah, and Dell's support sucks. Dell Support is an oxymoron.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
My vote against HP laptops, keyboard scratches screen, the locking mechanism also scratches away paint, but then it is going to run Windows so the paint scratches won't be the worst of his problems.

Ryan T.

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2005
Rochester, NY
I can't believe anything has been suggested in this thread besides IBM/Lenovo. Bar none, not even close, the most reliable laptops available.

Get a nice T-Series and never look back.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
Ryan T. said:
I can't believe anything has been suggested in this thread besides IBM/Lenovo. Bar none, not even close, the most reliable laptops available.

Get a nice T-Series and never look back.

I was looking at those yesterday - they look great (for Windows machines).

I have had bad experiences with / do not like:

Compaq
HP
Gateway

I have had good experiences with / can tolerate:

Dells
IBMs
Sony Vaios

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
id go hp

from what i have seen in friends laptops, (besides apple) i would probably go with an hp as well, my exgf had one and it got insaine battery life (centrino) and a couple other friends had the bigger thicker ones, the only problem they had with them was the occasion key getting ripped off when a chemistry book fell on em:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.