Which phone?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamescwarren, Aug 6, 2006.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Hi. I am ready to upgrade my phone on an O2 contract, and I am in a dilemma on which one to get. I am torn between the Samsung E900 and the Nokia N80. I want it to have a decent MP3 player, good camera, good apps etc... and most of all, style. 3G is not necessarily a must have thing but the Nokia does have two cameras. Both of them have EDGE though so I would be pretty happy with that. Anyone have any experience with these phones? Could someone please send some pictures or even better, a video of these phones in person? Is the E900 UI any good? I really like the S60 platform. THANKS!!!

2. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

3. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Sorry, don't have any experience with those phones... I would at least suggest waiting till tomorrow to see if Apple comes out with an iPhone. if not, than I personally plan on buying a Sony w600i.

4. mckvakk macrumors regular

i find the N80 a bit big, and samsung i don't like at all when it comes to phones..

What about SE W810 or K800?
    K800 has one of the best cameras in the market right now, it has 3G.
    W810 has a decent 2mpx camera and EDGE

5. Lincoln macrumors regular

Lincoln

N80

A friend at work got one of these and he is very happy with it. i had a quick go and was very impressed (I'm a bit of a Nokia fan so I might be biased).

If you want to sync it with your Mac you will have more luck with the N80 phone too. Although it isn't supported yet, there are two methods you can use for now.

A third party app from NovaMedia: http://www.novamedia.de/sync/

Or a free hack here: http://randytamayo.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-isync-nokia-n80-on-apple-mac.html

Hopefully someone who actually has this phone will reply later. My contract is up for renewal soon and this is the phone that I'm thinking of getting too.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I recommend the w810i. I have one and absolutely love it.

7. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I`d prefer samsung over nokia any time. E900 seems really sleek. But N80 has much more featuers. Given a choice between these two only I`d buy N80 only coz of it`s wifi capabilities. Arghh... Nope. I`d still go for W900 as it looks so sleek and being a samsung, it`ll have better build quality.

I m currently using a Samsung D600. It`s pretty good. On some other time I`d have sold it after 3 months usage. But right now I dont want anything but iPhone to be my next phone(and hopefully my first iPod too). Otherwise O2 atom looks really tempting.

8. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I've had the Chocolate. Don't go there - stay away, its awful. Looks nice, thats it. It does look nice - but the fingerprints drove me *insane* but they now have an iPod-white model, which is less print-y.

I have just sold an E900 on eBay. It has a *brilliant* new menu system, and for text messaging, its wonderful. The camera, compared to Sony Ericsson (who I believe, have the best in phones) is not good. Speakers aren't good for the MP3 function, and you can't use 3.5mm headphones, so your stuck with tinny ill-fitting Samsung ones. Its black, and attracts fingerprints worse than the Chocolate. Its a nightmare. When its closed, it looks nice - but they keypad shape and design doesn't match the phone at all, and suffers that same-old Samsung design. The slide on mine was also loose, something all too common with Samsungs.

Lastly, the N80. Its big, and Symbian is usually pretty slow - but it apparently has a very good camera, which my friends N70 does, and thats 1MP lower in Res. I wouldn't like a slider of that size, personally, but over all, I would think its the better phone.

If not, I have a brand new RAZR with iTunes for sale, :p (Sorry! :eek: )

9. nickelbackmac macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

I'd go with a WalkMan phone from Sony Ericsson. I had one... let's see... oh yes the W600i and man was it AWESOME... until it fell into the deep depths of the ocean while on a cruise boat... :( ...

10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Nokia N80! I love my Nokia 6280. I think Nokia have really released a nice range of phones lately and I'd go the Nokia.

11. cube macrumors G4

The only reason why I don't get an N80 is that it doesn't have A2DP.

Plus, I rarely use my mobile :)

E900 has A2DP. As you said MP3...

12. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

A comma might make your statement a little less ambiguous, baby!

/grammarsnob