Which phone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xJulianx, Dec 29, 2006.

1. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I'm starting a new contract with Vodafone, and get a free phone with it but don't know what to get. I basically want a nice phone, with a decent camera as far as phone cameras go and I want it to be compatible with iSync.

Ay suggestions? Here are the phones I have to choose from.

Any help would be appreciated greatly. :)

2. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Well, I've narrowed it down to the Sony Ericsson K800i and the W950i

Neither are listed on Apples list of compatible devices for iSync though, I guess it's a silly question, but is there a way to get the to sync with my MacBook using iSync?

EDIT: I'm going with he K800i, I found a plugin for it to work with iSync so it's all sorted. :)

3. Gee macrumors 65816

They may not be incompatible - and isync occassionally gets updated to add support for newer models, so even if they won't synch now, they may well do soon. Apple supports most of the sony ericsson range (or vice versa).

Maybe someone else has experience with one of these phones?

4. fireworks501 macrumors member

I suggest you google the phone model + "iSync" and see what articles come up. I was able to get an iSync plug-in to make my K600i (red) work from some German developer for like $5. Totally worth it.

Plus Apple Sony Ericsson integration is top-notch, so you're good to go with those phones. Tried the RAZR for awhile, but it wasn't that good (had a K700i before that).

Best of luck!

5. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

I have a Razr V3i and it works fine with iSync.

6. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

i personally have never had a problem getting a SE device to sink, but maybe something has been changed.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yeah for FREE, I would go with the V3i, I've heard it's a pretty awesome phone.

8. Gee macrumors 65816

I had a V3 for about 2 months, and I hated it sooo much I swapped it for an old sony ericcson. The interface was so clunky it seemed to have been designed by someone who had never used a phone before. Steer clear! My 2 cents worth.

9. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Yeah I think I'm going with the K800i on the 3 network.

Which brings me to my next question, what are 3 like as far as coverage goes? They have a coverage map on their website, but my friend is on 3 and says he never has signal:confused:

10. Gee macrumors 65816

Where are you in 'The South'? I think 3's coverage is best in cities...

11. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

I've had the various models of the V3 for the last two years. I love this phone, i like the design, and its easy to use.

Saying that... There is a new V3xxx. I know its out for O2 customers but it is AWFUL!! - I think i hated it because i was used to the older V3 and V3i and in the xxx model they changed all the buttons around, made the external screen smaller and added i-Mode.

I had this phone for 1 hour before returning it to my local 02 store.

I've been due a upgrade since 10th December, got the V3xxx on the 11th - returned, and now went back to my old and failing V3i until something new comes along.

I'm waiting to January to see what the new LG Chocolate Platinum is like before i decided on which one i want to stick with for a year.

Should also note, i had the Motorola PEBL for a week this time last year. The only cool thing about it was the way the clamshell opened. Slide it with thumb and it sprang open. Anyway... I found the keys on it difficult to use, espcially texting - use to cancel the whole test when i meant to type "a" - probably because my finger are big. But I do like the arrangement of different colours they have now.

Anyway, good luck on picking a phone.

12. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I'm near just outside Brighton.

13. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

According to 3's coverage map on their website, they cover everywhere apart from some areas of Scotland and Wales.

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Wait a few days to see if there is an i'MnotmadebyCiscoPhone at Macworld.

15. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Too late. :( :p

16. Addo macrumors member

I think the older SE phones sync'd fairly well - I had a P900 a few years ago and Isync worked well with it. the newer SE phones like the P990 which I bought fairly recently are not compatible with Isync at all - I think that includes the M600 and the K950. Apparently SE reckon Apple should make Isync compatible with their phones whilst Apple think SE should make their phones compatible...

ps. the P990 I bought is just that little bit too clunky to be used as a door wedge...

17. VicRattlehead macrumors regular

same topic but different carrier, my carrier is nextel, and im looking at getting a new phone within the next month or so. does anyone here use nextel and what phones do you have? does it work with isync?

18. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

19. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

The Sony W850i is a wonderful phone, and even though it the only great thing they make, Sony makes WONDERFUL phones.