which photo organizer software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cloudsfromiowa, Mar 27, 2007.

1. cloudsfromiowa macrumors newbie

Hi! New to Mac and still trying to figure it all out. I had PS CS for my PC, but have ordered PS CS2 for my Mac. I was using PS Elements organizer (I think that's what it was) to install and sort my photos (along with folders on my PC). I'm not really liking iPhoto. I thought I was downloading Picasa for Mac, but it was for the Web, not my computer.:mad: Help. I don't know what to get now and I'm not sure what to do and my CS2 should be arriving any day. I'm not super savvy yet but I really want to dig in!! Thanks!:)

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Once I let go and let iPhoto handle my photos I really got to like it. You have to use folders the way you use playlists in iTunes. You might want to give that a try. Otherwise people should start giving you suggestions shortly. Best wishes.

3. besler3035 macrumors 6502

If you like Photoshop, why not wait til CS3? It comes out in late April and is already available for pre-order.

I personally use iPhoto and enjoy it because it's simple and quick to edit and organize photos.

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

iPhoto is great but can run slow on older or base model PPC's. Although I'm sure it is less demanding than CS2, not to mention pre-installed.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What's your problem with iPhoto? I find it works quite well. Perhaps if you say what you don't like about it people can offer suggestions.

6. cloudsfromiowa thread starter macrumors newbie

ok...fair is fair. I have only tried to use it 2 times and was in a great hurry, so I think I probably need to spend some time on it first. Am I correct in understanding that it is set up similarly to iTunes? If so, then I should be able to get around in it. Also, it is easy enough to open photos with CS2 from iPhoto? Thanks! And I will post more questions after I have "played" with it a little more.

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I 5th iPhoto. I have a few hundred photos, and iPhoto's helped me keep them organized really well. I haven't lost anything (yet). It has to be the best photo software around.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It sounds like it might be overkill for you, but you might look at either Aperture (great software), or Adobe Lightroom for your photo-organizing needs. They're both a step up from iPhoto.

9. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Although there probably is an even easier way, I just drag the photo that I see in iPhoto to the desktop (this will make a copy. keeping the orig. in iPhoto) and then open with PS.

10. cloudsfromiowa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all who replied! I have been importing my photos to iPhoto and I really do like it. I am just waiting for my PS2 and will be ready to go when it gets here. Actually, I'm glad you encouraged me to try it. It is well thought out and I am able to make as many albums as I'd like. Thanks again! Great board...and I'm always open to any advice!!