Which PM should I buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by golfdude, Aug 5, 2005.

1. golfdude macrumors regular

I am going to buy a PM this weekend to take advantage of tax free weekend. I already have a 17" Powerbook but wanted something with some some speed to do some video, photo stuff and of course other stuff.

I plan on upgrading the RAM on the PM with cheaper aftermarket RAM.

Dual 2.0 (with 1GB RAM, bluetooth, applecare) - $2196 (after company discount)

Dual 2.3 (with 1GB RAM, bluetooth, applecare) - $2656 (after company discount)

Dual 2.7 (with 1GB RAM, bluetooth, applecare) - $3116 (after company discount

It's $460 to go from the Dual 2.0 to the Dual 2.3 and then another $460 to go to the Dual 2.7. So it's $920 to go from the Dual 2.0 to the Dual 2.7. Am I really going to notice the speed difference from say the 2.0 to 2.3? What about the 2.3 versus the 2.7? Then I have to ask myself what aboout the 2.0 to the 2.7? You figure there should be a huge speed difference from the 2.0 to the 2.7? Any comments/recommendations would be much appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The 2.3GHz machine is the sweet spot of the range IMO. It gives the best bang for your buck.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i would love to go for the 2.7 but my mrs would be ribbin me all the time for spending too much money ! is there a performace hit from 2.0 to 2.7 yes i should hope there is -

get what you can afford and buy as much RAM as you can afford as well

lucky sod lol :)

4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I also agree the 2.3 is the best deal. It gives you the PCI-X slots, and an 8gb RAM capable machine instead of 4gb. Plus it gives you the standard 250gb hd. Also, depending on what you are using it for I would upgrade to the 9650 for the extra 128 vid ram.

5. golfdude thread starter macrumors regular

This is probably a dumb question but I have been trying to find out what the PCI-X slots gives you? What's so great about the "X"?

6. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I agree, there's another thread regarding this. I posted my thoughts regarding the speed of my former 2.7 versus my current 2.3. Let me tell you, the 2.7 got really hot and sounded like rocket lift-off quite often, even when opening safari or mail. My new 2.3 is noiticeably faster - in real world work. I don't have benchmarks but I noticed a significant increase in snappiness and responsiveness. Check my sig :)

P.S. I had 512Mb more RAM in my 2.7 for a total of 5 gigs of RAM. My 2.3 is still faster in daily simple tasks. I have yet to try Final Cut Studio stuff or ProTools on it yet.

7. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

I would buy the 2.3 right now if I were you. As previosly mentioned it is the sweet spot right now. You don't want to deal with the water cooling system of the 2.7 and also I am sure you notice much of a speed difference between the two except if you are doing processor extensive work.

8. PrOeliuM macrumors member

I'd also recommend the 2.3 GHz model. I would recommend the 2.0 GHz but I was reading at http://barefeats.com/g527.html and it said that the models that allowed 8GB of memory (current 2.3, last revisions 2.0) were far superior to those that didn't (current 2.0). The quote was as follows:

Combine that with the fact that the 2.7 GHz model's watercooling system is expected to last about 2 years (you can search to find a reference), then I'd say the 2.3 is the way to go.

9. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

Congrats on the impending purchase - sounds sweet!
    Also, you're lucky that you're in a state that allows computer to fall under the umbrella of "tax-free weekend."
    Here in Texas, computers do not qualify, and thus are still taxed.

Best wishes!

10. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

I would get the Dual 2.7, it comes with a standard 256MB video card and is capable of running two 30" ACD's on a water-cooled machine. I think I will be buying the Dual 2.7 soon.

Does anyone know if the Dual 2.7 is quiter since it uses some water-cooling instead of full air?

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Our tax free occurs next weekend. Computers are allowed, but the price must be under $2500. So a Power Mac would be out of the question. That is with wanting a cinema display, so that both are covered by AppleCare.

There would be a very noticeable speed difference between the 2.0 and the 2.7. The extra RAM will also give increased performance. You should purchase the Mac that is most affordable.