Which Powerbook to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by James P, Apr 2, 2005.

1. James P macrumors newbie

I am planning on buying a new Powerbook next week (hopefully after Tiger is released :confused: ). I am not sure which configuration to get, but I have pretty much narrowed it down to either getting a 17 inch (1gig ram, 100gb) or a 12 inch (Superdrive, 1.256gig ram, 100gb) plus a 20 inch Apple Cinema Display. This will be my primary comuter,and I do quite a bit of photo editing, so does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do? Would a 20in iMac be a better bet?
    Thanks!

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I think in your case it comes down to portability. Will you be needing to carry your PB around much? If portability is a big issue then definately go with the 12''. If it's not such a big issue go with 17'' - it has a lot more features and is more ungradeable in terms of RAM and graphics card. If you are doing a lot of photo work than a better graph card is proabably pretty important to you.

Both machines are impressive, as is the 20'' display, but it really comes down to whether you have to lug it around or not.

Good Luck! :)

3. James P thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be primarily using it at college, so portability between the campus in Madison and home in Minnesota would be good, but either model would be about equally easy to transport for me. But you're right, max, the graphics card is better in the 17 in.

4. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Which ever you decide on, I would reccomend upgrading the RAM after you buy it from Apple. Apple charges alot for RAM, it would be alot more cost effective to order it from somewhere else (like crucial) and install it after the fact.

You may also want to consider the 15". It is just as powerful as the 17" but I find it alot more portable. Plus it will save you some $$ if you have your eye on an external monitor.

Sorry to throw more questions at you, instead of answers. But I hope that helps!

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I love my 12 inch, with the cinema display. It gives me the best of both worlds.

6. James P thread starter macrumors newbie

If I buy the RAM from another place can I easily install it myself into a laptop? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but i have always been a desktop guy.

7. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Yeah, its super easy. There is a panel on the bottom of the PB that unscrews and you can just pop in new RAM.

8. TrashCanDan macrumors member

I would go for the 12" with superdrive and definitely upgrade the ram. They are very powerful for their size and you wont need a big screen while your at campus. The combination of the 12" PB and the 20" display would be an ideal way to go.

9. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I agree with this statement. If you only need the screen at campus or where ever get the 12 inch with screen, that way you have portability and a desktop replacmet when hooked up to the screen. This way you also have a good quality screen if you by a desktop later down the track.

10. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

The 12" Max Ram... definitely. Yes it's easy to install. You'll not only get the best of portability plus a 20" screen when docked.. Oh you also save a few bucks than the 17" + 20" screen.

Have you not thought about the 15"?

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I'd consider getting a 12" as well + an external LCD or something.

However, if you're really not one to carry your laptop around to the library/café/grassy field/anywhere else on campus much, then you're better off just getting a 17".

And if you get your RAM at another store (ie: not at Apple), you'll save hundreds of dollars.

12. hansen macrumors regular

I bought a 12" PB with 1Gb/100Gb 3 weeks ago plus installed wireless network in my apartment. This is my first mac ever and I'm loving it.

It has totally changed the way I use my computer. Because it's so portable and can take it anywhere. For example, I used to read the newspaper every morning while eating breakfast. Now I bring my laptop to the table and read the news from there, catch up with friends via email and IM.

I was afraid if the screen was to small to use - it isn't in my opinion. But I have to say that I haven't done any photo editing.

EDIT: I went to the local mac store and asked for a good deal in return for buying at there place instead of on-line. They gave me a very good discount on the RAM making it cheaper than whatever RAM I have found on the web.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that the 15" PowerBook would be a good compromise. That way you could afford more RAM. Also could purchase some additional software. Just be aware that you still may need to wait on Tiger, fingers crossed for sooner rather than later.

14. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I'm not quite sure if you living on campus or commuting (wasn't specified). If you live on campus i would strongly suggest you DON'T buy the seperate lcd screen. But if your commuiting, buy either one. I would go for the 17".

15. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

You might want to hold off on PB purchase for a while. Here's why:

There are currently two problems with the rev Ds:

1) Erratic Scroll trackpad behavior

2) Static electric shock

These were reported by appleinsiders.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=948

I don't have problems with my PB rev C 15", but guess the rev D's 15" might have some problems.

16. hansen macrumors regular

I have one, and I don't experience of the above. The two-finger scroll is just great. So easy to use