Which PowerBook to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Jul 14, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Ok heres my delema...
    (i get the edu discount)

I can either get plan A

New Powerbook g4 12" 1.33ghz Super (stock model)- 1600
    256mb ram upgrade from crucial- $55
    Total= about 1655

Or Plan B

Refurb Powerbook G4 1ghz Super (stock model)- 1200
    256mb ram upgrade from crucial- $55
    Sharp 15" Wide PC/TV LCD monitor Refurb- 300!!
    Total= about 1555

I don't knw which option to chose. Plan B looks really nice but i want to stay as up to date as possible. The new 12" is 1/3 faster, better videocard, faster superdrive. Not that 1ghz is too slow but i mean the powermacs are up to dual 2.5ghz G5s. On this machine i will be doing all of the MS office, iLife, final cut express, keynote, etc. I am currently swiching :). I like the ease of use of Mac OS X and the desktops just look more inviting and fun

Thanks to all who reply!

2. pepita macrumors member

Mar 8, 2004
    If you didn't need the extra monitor, I'd have said, go with the refurbished one. But since the total comes up to only a $100 difference, then go with the new. You'd probably also be getting the latest software with it so that's another bonus.

But, you'd have to make sure you're comfortable with the 12'' screen. If possible try it out at a store before buying.
  3. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

Feb 19, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    Definately go for the latest model...Its allot nicer.
  4. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    Wow i expected you guys would say the oppositte- i'll wait for some more replies before i decide. I did go to the apple store yesterday and compared the 12 ibook and the 12" powerbook and wow i liked the powerbook keyboard ALOT more. The ibook one is very springy. (that was somewhat off topic)
  5. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    Go for the most up to date 12" that you can afford. Getting an external 15" seems a little silly too - if you want an external monitor, make it *noticeably* different from your laptop screen size. :p
  6. vga4life macrumors 6502

Jun 16, 2004
    I recommend Plan C:

Buy a refurb rev C (1.33 GHz) 12" PowerBook for $1349 from Apple.
    Add a 512 MB chip from your supplier of choice for $120.
    Total: $1469

Then spend the money you saved on booze. Or not.

Don't bother with a previous-generation refurb. The latest generation refurb models come up regularly on Apple's "Special Deals" page. I've seen current-generation 15" 1.33GHz refurbs for $1699 there - not much more than the $1650 you were planning to spend in Plan A.

Oh, and refurbs sometimes come with CTO options installed - the refurb spec listed by apple is just the minimum.