Which PowerBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Apr 21, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I need help!
    I am buying a powerbook since I am selling my dell (one of the worst decisions of my life). I am looking at the 12" SuperDrive or the 15" ComboDrive. I want a big screen but also DVD burning capability. Has anyone bought a superdrive but then noticed they have never used it. In my price range its one of those two pb models. I do not want a 14" ibook becuase they don't have as good a video card (for when i make presentations) and I hate their plastic. I can't decide between "screen real estate" or portability with a super drive. Does anyone have any recomendations? Also I hear that iDVD is only compadible with apple's built in SuperDrives. Is there a brand that will hook up. I am looking for ease of use so i do not want to export quicktimes from iMovie to make a DVD. So someone please help me!

Also does anyone have any reccomendations for ipod cases. My $400 +CT tax 20gb scratches soo eaisly. Mainly i think it is from the case they give you. So if anyone has any reccomendations on where i can find a good case for my ipod that would be great. Perhaps the 4th gneration iPods will be made out of aluminum and there will be cheaper iPods made out the plastic (like iBook and PowerBook- haha not a bad idea). Also do you know where i could actually buy a new casing for my ipod, the actual stainless back and plastic front.

Thanks
    EJB

2. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Hi again- along with that short iPod discussion i have an idea

Apple should have:
    iPod minis
    iPods
    and PowerPods (what ever that will be)

3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I never much cared for superdrives. They take away the burning power from the cd burner... :(

Go for the 15 inch combo. Don't forget it also has the Radeon 9700 mobility...

4. belf8st macrumors member

I went with then new 12" combo drive unit and then turned around and ordered a pioneer dvr-107 8x DVD-R unit with an external firewire case for $135.

5. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Tell me more about making an external DVD-Burner!!! Is that compadible with iDVD

Thanks

6. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I'm actually having the same dilemma as you though for different reasons. as far as does iDVD come with a combodrive pb? I think not. I'm not sure but I heard this on TechTv from Call for Helps guest Mac expert, he mentioned there was a way around this just not how.

7. belf8st macrumors member

There are numerous threads on the easter egg found in idvd - http://forum.firmware-flash.com/viewtopic.php?t=23370

The particular pioneer dvr-107 i ordered became supported in mac os x 10.3.3. I picked it up from ebay with the external firewire case for $135.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44955&item=4121728488&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/s...=603311&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=31&fpart=

8. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

So all i have to do is buy the pioneer DVR-107 burner + firewire enclosure + firewire cable and i'm done- nothing else to do. I know nothing about programing or what an easter egg is (unless it comes from the easter bunny).

9. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I hope by that you mean the BUYING of a DuLL, and not the selling of one.

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yes, for my 15 GB iPod I have and iSkin (http://www.iskin.com/) eXo 2. I would recomend the eXo 3 or the iSkin eVo.

11. stefan_km macrumors newbie

I never really understood all the fuzz about the SuperDrives. I mean, unless you're doing video and stuff like that, I doubt it's that crucial for most people to have the ability to burn dvd's on the go. Sure it's nice, would just rather get a faster, cheaper external drive and keep it at home.

Just ordered the 12" combo btw - my first mac! :D I can't wait to get it

Stefan

12. robbents99 macrumors regular

robbents99

Ordered my first band new Apple 15" Laptop, Superdrive, AppleCare, yesterday. AppleCare will arrive soons, then the laptop should arrive sometime next week.

Just need to order a bag and a keyboard cover for it.

13. belf8st macrumors member

That's it!

i haven't personally tested it yet, since i'm still waiting for my dvr to get here. i chose that particuar model since it's supported in 10.3.3. http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=3215

14. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Look at the referbs under the SpecialDeals link on Apple's online store.