Which PowerBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Dec 4, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Wanting to buy a mac...

Option A: Refurb Powerbook 15" 1ghz Al Combo Stock: 1499
    Option B: New Powebook 12" 1.33ghz Combo Stock: 1399 (edu pricing)
    Option C: New iMac G5 17" 1.8Ghz Super, Stock: 1399

I am looking to use this computer for everyday use of word processing, web browsing, and mulitimedia use. I would rather have a laptop but the value of the iMac is incredible. I do not like the iBook becuase of there keyboard and the material they are made out of. Can someone help me decide?

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I'm with you on the iBook keyboard thing ... I just used one in an Apple store yesterday, and goodness they're awful.

Okay, so now to pick a computer for you. :) I'm partial to the 15", only because I have a 15". You didn't mention portability as a huge concern, so I think the 15" would be better than the 12" for you. It's very nice to have a big merry screen to work on, and it's not too heavy to take around.

Now the dark horse ... the iMac! How badly do you want portability? Do you want to work in coffeeshops, at a library, on trips, on a plane? If not, I'd say go with the iMac.

For sure though, I propose narrowing down the field to the 15" PB and the iMac you mentioned.

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I love my PowerBook 12". Amazing screen. You can do quite a bit with Expose (on windows so I can't do the little thingy on the e at the end) mind you. It trashes my friend's Wintel with a 14" screen in a million ways.

The 12" is more future proof. It is faster. Both the 12" and the 15" are extreamly portable! Don't get that wrong. But the 12" is more so. The iMac even less. :p

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    id go for the 12 myself, i have 17, but i think the .33 ghz increase is worth it
    plus its the most portable, plus is 100 bucks cheaper than the 15

5. JLaFrance macrumors member

Maybe I missed something, but what's wrong with the iBook keyboards? I've used them in CompUSA and they feel/work like the Powerbook ones, to the extent that I've used them.

LaFrance

6. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

The keys are springy or something, for me uncomforatable.

7. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

I dont know if it's just me, but I found the 15" (when I had one) to be fairly heavy to carry around.

If portability really is an issue, I would say get the 12" PB. I dont think the screen real-estate difference between the 12 and the 15 is that big anyway..

also, about the imac - at the moment they're a bit problematic, so i would wait for Rev.B if I were you - I have one that I received this week that has a noisy fan - annoying.

/asif