which printer to get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Hungarianguy, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Hungarianguy macrumors member

Apple now offers 99$ back on epson printers. the Stylus C86 ends up costing nothing.

Is that a good printer or is there a better upgrade option instead?

2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

I think it is a fine printer, though I do not own one myself. But what would you like to do with it? Mostly text? websites? photos? How much do you think you will you be using it, etc. Your needs and your budget might make for another option being a better choice.

3. mms macrumors 6502a

It depends. I know it's cliche, but there's no other way to put this. You have to give more specifics when asking for help. How often would you use it? (ink is costly; depending on this, laserjet may be better) Do you need color? What would you be willing to pay for a printer? etc etc.

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I like the HP giveaway... Epson printers, IMO, kinda suck. But its a cheap printer. Might as well. It might be worth it to get a more expensive printer and pay a few bucks so that the cheap one doesn't die after 20 minutes.

5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Ink cartridge and per-page costs can also be compared. pcmag.com, pcworld.com, cnet.com, macworld.com, etc. all have reviews, and some break out these costs for you. Some cheaper printers end up costing more per page when replacement ink costs are factored (however, if you won't be using your printer much at all, a larger-volume/more economical cartridge may dry up before you have a chance to use it all, thus making smaller cartridges a better option). You can also go to a retailer site like inkdepot.com and compare ink cartridge prices directly; some list the ml content or estimate the number of pages/cartridge.