Which Programming Environment do you use?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Dellius, Dec 17, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Which programming environment do u use under OS X ?

While I was under Windows I used to use M$ Visual C++ but under Mac OS I am a bit confused...

2. macrumors 6502

Confused? not sure what that means. But i use Xcode. Sucks for C coding sometimes. Cuase it doesn't contain all the libraries, but its pretty nice and simple.

3. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

4. macrumors regular

5. macrumors 68040

mduser63

Another vote for XCode. I use it for Objective-C/Cocoa development, as well as the occasional C program. It works well for both, although it is obviously primarily designed for Objective-C/Cocoa development. If you want to do Java, Eclipse is probably the way to go (although XCode does support Java).

6. macrumors member

I use XCode because it's free and still pretty hearty. and because I find having to build and maintain make files a bit tedious (but something I should get better at doing).

Though I try to do most of my actual coding using vim because my productivity increases by a whole lot when i can do hugely complex things (that would require lots of cut-paste/editing tools in XCode) with just a few keystrokes. Although this has the downside that I try to use vim movement commands in XCode when I'm fixing errors/bugs.

7. Moderator emeritus

Xcode works fine for most things on Mac OS X, but I don't care to use it for Java. However, it supports C, C++, and Objective-C very well.

Visual C++ style development hasn't been duplicated on Mac OS X but if you use Xcode for Objective-C, you'll find it's just as productive.

8. macrumors newbie

Xcode for C/C++. IntelliJ for Java, which is a bit clunky, but works good for me.

9. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

10. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

11. macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Another one for Xcode. I find it an extremely good programming environment, at least for C-like languages. In my opinion, your best bet in OS X development.

12. macrumors member

13. macrumors 6502a

X-Code does me fine for Java servlet development. For support tools that need to run on Windows I use RealBasic. That's the boring stuff, for the fun stuff I use X-Code and Objective C++. I can't wait for the promised code folding feature of X-Code 3.

b e n

14. macrumors 68040

ghall

I use Xcode as well. Or rather, I'm learning programming on Xcode. I love it, it makes learning programming very fun...at least to me.

15. macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I like to use Smultron for coding, and I compile either via the Terminal or using CPP Edit. I'm still using Smultron 1.2.7 — it's a great, lightweight, no-frills text editor. :)

16. macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

17. Moderator emeritus

Wouldn't Flash being the programming environment and ActionScript the (scripting) language used? ;)

18. macrumors 6502

XCode. For the second poster. What libraries out of the standard ones required for ANSI and ISO certification does GCC not have?

19. macrumors 6502

Like many others, I use Xcode for C/Obj-C and I use Eclipse for my Java work.

20. macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

oh, ok, Flash it is

21. macrumors 603

gekko513

22. macrumors regular

I think they meant that the libraries aren't available for auto-complete type tools...

23. macrumors member

I'm an old school Unix-type, so I use vim, g++ and CMake (make).

24. Moderator emeritus

Probably the MS/PC-DOS libraries that his instructor was wanting him to use.

25. macrumors newbie

Xcode for Obj-c & C++, Komodo for wxPython and Perl.
    Textmate for quick fixes.