Which Programs Can Clean Out My Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Afro1989, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Afro1989 macrumors 6502a

I know that this question has been answered many times by you people and I know that you're probably sick of hearing this question, but I know that all Macs can slow down a bit after a while. I've had my Mac Mini for a few months now and I was wondering which are the main programs I should download that will "clear/clean up" my Mac Mini!

Are there any programs similar to the ones for Windows such as CCleaner? I know that all Macs defrag automatically so which programs do I need? Or do I need any at all?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You don't have to do anything unless something is wrong. If you are having trouble search these threads for "maintenance". You'll get many relevant hits.

3. Afro1989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but I was wondering if the program Onyx is the most popular. Should I download that? I want to keep my Mac Mini as fast as it was when I first bought it. I'm not noticing it slowing down, but that's probably because I'm on it every single day.

Thanks again.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Some people use Onyx. Others use MacJanitor and many other programs. I personally don't like any of them.

5. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I've tried several maintenance programs on my Mini, and I prefer Onyx. Just be sure to read about what you are doing, before you use it.

6. Aarow macrumors 6502a

Repairing Permissions in Disk Utility once in a while might help.

7. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

I know how you feel, and I'm glad to see a fellow CCleaner user. :cool: I noticed my MBP acting a little slower today so I installed Onyx. I ran cleaning and maintenance and everything is as good as new. I will forwarn you though, I've heard of people having problems with Onyx, and you should read up on it before you start "cleaning."

I think part of the problem (mine and maybe yours) is that I've become so used to running CCleaner on my PC, that I feel the need to run some sort of optimization tool frequently. But a Mac takes care of itself, I guess it's just that Windows user still inside me. :rolleyes:

8. Afro1989 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, thanks for the info man. I'll read up on Onyx once I start noticing some changes.

9. dylan macrumors 6502

I've always used cocktail. Couldn't stand onyx's icon...