Which programs use the MBP graphics card (non-games)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acrafton, Mar 22, 2007.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

Ok - so we know that the Macbook has no card and the MBP do have graphics cards which provides better 'high end' graphics performance but I can't find which apps heavily use it. Even photoshop benchmarks don't seem to make much of a difference. . .so, other than games, which programs make heavy use of graphics card?

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

3. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

OS X? Aperture, Final Cut pro, Aperture, and im sure there are lots of them I just cant think of them right now

4. dkirlew macrumors member

3D programs like Maya which I use use the MBP graphics card.

5. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Motion also uses it pretty heavily. Pretty much anything that uses core image or core video.

On another note, I was looking at the list of core image compatible cards. Does anyone else think it's strange that the MBP's video card (ATI Mobility X1600) isn't listed?

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Everything uses your graphics card otherwise you wouldn't see much.

7. osiris24x macrumors member

osiris24x

Due to Core Image and Core Video, tons of things utilize your graphics card. Even iTunes Visualizer does.

8. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

The iLife apps as well use Core Image to a certain extent, so they should benefit from good video hardware. Apps like Aperture and Motion will need it.

9. tristan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, your screen would be blank without a graphics card, and you'd be looking at your own ugly mug in the screen, we know. I think the original poster's question is basically:

Yes, I know the MacBook's graphic card is so unspeakably awful that it might as well be a dead rat glued to my motherboard. But what affect will that really have on my ability to use the computer? What applications would have a performance penalty?

I think its an interesting question, and want to know the answer too. In my opinion, most apps would work fine except 3D games. You may also want to check in with some places that specialize in benchmarks, like BareFeats and see if they compare MBs and MBPs at specific applications.

10. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Apparently iMovie also uses Core Video for video filters, so that will almost certainly run better with a dedicated graphic card if filters are in use.

Keynote's 3D transitions use Quartz/OpenGL and will benefit, especially running at high resolutions.

Basically, anything that uses Core Image, Core Video, or OpenGL will benefit from dedicated video hardware. For the present, that means games and some select professional or creative apps. In the future, it could be anything.

Wikipedia's entry on Core Image is interesting if a little low on details.

11. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

iTunes visualizer uses the graphics card a fair amount.