iPad Which Protection Plan for new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ash211, Nov 24, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

May 14, 2012
    Bestbuy or AppleCare? Anyone have any experience with either or opinions on which is better?
  2. macrumors 68040

May 15, 2007
    I would go AppleCare without thinking about it. And if you think you might drop it i'd splurge and upsize it to AC+ just to be safe.

I personally would not let the Best Buy Monkeys mess with any of my stuff. :p
  3. macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2007
    Check out squaretrade. $99 for full coverage with NO deductible.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

May 14, 2012
    Square trade says they will pay to have it fixed if I accidentally damage it..AppleCare sounds like they will just give me a new one?!?!
  5. macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2007
    Not true. On his iPhone, not iPad, they sent a friend of mine a new one after he cracked his screen in one day. He had to send in his damaged phone within 5 days. You can also take it to apple and they will write you a check or refund you what you paid there for the damages.
  6. macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2011
    Think about this: AppleCare + deductible is 30% of a base iPad! And if something does happen there's a good chance your getting a refurb. People are better off saving the $$$ for their next new iPad.
  7. macrumors 68000

Jul 30, 2011
    just put it on an AMEX - you get an extra year of coverage for free
  8. macrumors 68030

May 3, 2010
    SquareTrade is a bit squirrely about their coverage, they give you the impression that they don't set limits but you have to dig to see that they limit recovery to the cost of the device:

"Coverage Amount
    For replacement payments: You are covered up to the maximum value you paid for the item. Once we pay out that amount, your Care Plan is considered fulfilled. If you would like coverage on your new item, you need to purchase a new warranty for it.

For Repairs: The Care Plan is good for multiple repairs, up to the maximum value of your item. Once the cost of repairs meets the full purchase price of the item, your Care Plan is considered fulfilled."

So once their costs hit $499 (for the base iPad) your benefits end. Applecare+ has no such limits. It has 2 replacements with a co-pay but if you need warranty coverage in year two they will cover it without limitation.

So what?
  9. macrumors 6502

Dec 4, 2009
    SquareTrade, hands down. Their warranties are competitively priced (and there are also 35% off coupons floating around out there now through Jan).
  10. macrumors G4

Jun 12, 2012
    On the regular sized ipad applecare+ is a good idea. Buying it for the mini is just foolish. 1/3 the price of the product that you will probably have for a year and sell. Having AppleCare+ really does nothing for you in the aftermarket either. I would save my money and pay the out of warranty repair if something happens unless you got an LTE 64GB model
  11. macrumors 68040

May 15, 2007
    That's exactly what I do with all my electronics but most major CC offer that nowadays. :)
  12. macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    LOL, agreed...
  13. macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2011
    That's the best way, but Applecare does cover accidents too.