Which RAM for my new iBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by iShater, May 28, 2003.

1. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Time to add 512MB to the existing 128 to my new 800Mhz 12" iBook. Since this machine is my first Mac, and this my precious baby, I wanted to know what RAM make would work best.

I could go for Crucial for $137, or go Kensington for $144 or go generic from 18004memory for around $90-$105.

Thoughts? recommendations? experiences?

Any benefits for getting the brand names?

Thanks!

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Personally I wouldn't touch generic with a bargepole as I had way too many problems with it in my early PC pre-mac days. I've used crucial exclusively for a while now and have never had any problems with it.

3. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

I have 18004memory (512 chip) in my new iBook 900 and it works great. Cost me $90 shipped. Comes with a lifetime warranty.

Can't beat it, but it's up to you how much you want to spend.

4. iShater thread starter macrumors 604

iShater

Thanks for the feedback guys. Since this is my first Mac, I think I will pamper it and get the Crucial :)

18004memory as company hasn't been very responsive with my return, i will get their generic RAM for my PC laptop ;)

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

ditto, but with an ibook 800. i have had no problems with the memory, and it's insured if i do.

6. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

I would go with Apple ram. I just feel better about it. I also think you can't use other ram and still be covered under applecare.

7. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Sure buy Apple ram, if you don't mind being bled dry buying a basic commodity item. Choose quality but don't be sucker in the process (unless you're made of money)

Of course you can use other brands of ram, memory is a user installable part according to Apple. Go to the Apple's support site, they have PDF instruction for every system so you can do it at home.

8. maraczc macrumors member

Have you not noticed that in every one of those instruction forms it explains that Apple is not responsible for any damage to your computer caused by the self-installation of Ram?

9. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Yes, but they don't say the presence of third party ram will void your warranty altogether. Only any damage you cause because of self-installation won't be covered, that's pretty reasonable.

I think if someone can't unclip a keyboard and plug in a componant not much bigger than a stick of gum without causing damage, they don't deseve an iBook and should send it to me immediately.

10. garzy macrumors regular

dude, apple ram isnt even made by apple

in most of the new products, its samsung memory
    they even leave the samsung sticker on it

and yes you can be covered by applecare
    i just sent my powerbook in with 3rd party memory installed