Which should I use?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by neoelectronaut, Jan 11, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

For F@H, should I use the terminal-based app or the graphical app?

2. Selecter macrumors member

For the emac? Use the terminal client, the graph client is more demanding but it is also simpler to run.

If youre not a real serious folder and you need to use your machine for other stuff that also eats CPU time then your best bet is the screensaver, and set it to run for a long time ( like 30 minutes or an hour ) before the machine goes to sleep. That way it's only folding when you're not there. Folding on a slower system 24 x 7 when you also do stuff like video editing is not really realistic.

So it depends mostly on how you are using your mac.

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I don't plan on folding while I'm using my computer for other things---only when I'm away, or asleep.

4. Selecter macrumors member

download the screen saver client and set the thing to never go to sleep, but keep the screen saver on sounds like your best bet to me.

That wont interfere with what you are doing while you are using it but will fold while you are away, just what ye want.

5. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I don't fold right now but I'm pretty sure that F@H only uses idle processor. So it shouldn't make a difference whether or not he's running it while using the computer.

6. Selecter macrumors member

On a lower powered machine it can still cause some jerkiness and hesitation if you run another CPU intensive app - I didnt want him to have problems with his normal use of the machine. Based on his answers the screen saver is best.

7. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, last night I ran it from 11 PM to this morning, and it's still running. (I hope, unless my mother turned the computer off or put it on sleep) I used the terminal since it was bare bones, and, well, worked.

I'm wondering why I'm not on the list yet...

8. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, last night I ran it from 11 PM to this morning, and it's still running. (I hope, unless my mother turned the computer off or put it on sleep) I used the terminal since it was bare bones, and, well, worked.

I'm wondering why I'm not on the list yet...

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You have to complete at least one work unit before you have a score to be shown on the list. ;)

10. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Noel, use the terminal app from MC68K. It doesn't slow your mac down at all, the graphical/screensaver does, especially my mac! The terminal app only uses the idle procs, so if your proc only running for 50% then the othr 50% will be used by f@h without slowing down other apps! Take my advice, I have used both, now I only use the terminal app.

11. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

the graphical and SS versions dont take advantage of both procs either

--unless they changed that in v4

12. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Nice scripts mc68k. What's the chances of the folding app getting to look like the dnetc/rc-5 one any time soon? I mean I see you crunching both things and I figured folding is better for society if thought of like that, but the app annoyed me because the rc-5 one is just way more appealing. So there's about 10GHz of power lying in the balance. So yeah. I'm back on rc-5 for the time being.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yes, until the first Work unit is sent in your name will not appear.

Hmmm... Which 'app' are you talking about the default one from Standford or mc68k's/bous script?

14. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

the rc5 client is the sh*t

the stanford client pales in comparison

15. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

implementing a complex wrapper is kind of couunter-productive

i'd rather stanford do the hard work for me, than the other way around