Which Side for your Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bep207, Sep 27, 2006.

1. bep207 macrumors 6502

Do you put your cinema display on the left or right of your laptop?

Why?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Right of the laptop - cause that's where all the wires are.

I'm actually using my PB for the first extended period of time in closed lid mode with my display and quite like it. :)

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

since keyboard is one of the place heat transfer occurs, would it not be good for the internal component and LCD itself?

4. iGary Guest

iGary

It's not even warm around there. I'm not crunching anything wicked, though.

I certainly wouldn't be doing this with Photoshop or Aperture going.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but this brings up a point I've thought about for a little while.

The Cinema Display is, in my opinion, the ultimate sacrifice of functionality on the altar of design. Part of why I think that is because of the buttons on the side. For one thing, you can't see them without physically moving to look at the side of the monitor -- what kind of usability is that? Second, if you're insane enough to spend the money to get two or more of these things, and you put them up next to each other, you're not going to be able to access the buttons on any of them except the rightmost. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I like to be able to quickly turn my monitors off, thank you very much. Third, although this isn't really related to your question, their stupid cabling that forces you to have your power outlet within like five inches of your DVI connection on your computer -- let alone the fact that the monitor has only ONE input, where every other LCD monitor on the market that costs more than $150 has at least two inputs. The Dell 2007WFP may not be quite as pretty, but it has the same panel inside, more adjustments, lots more inputs, and you can almost get two of them for the price of a 20" Cinema Display.

OK sorry, that rant's over.

To directly address your question, although I don't have a Cinema Display or an Apple notebook, I usually put my secondary display on the left of my primary display when I'm using OS X, but I prefer the secondary display on the right when I'm using Windows. On the rare occasion I've hooked up another display to my laptop, I actually have the display above the laptop screen, not on the left or right.

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

fair enough... right now i just use the external as main display, and throw some random window that i want keep a eye on but not taking up space onto the mbp display...

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Behind.

But I got enough room on my desktop to do it.

[​IMG]

8. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Depends where I am. Left at home, right at uni.

9. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i think i'm gonna reorganize my desk... and reorganize my cables...