Which side of this story do you believe?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thomas Veil, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Normally I wouldn't bother putting a purely local news story here, but this one is quite oddball:

What's odd, of course, is that it's really hard to guess who's telling the truth here.

On the one hand, what the hell is a 59 year old lawyer doing taking a 16 year old girl to a carnival? Much less his son's girlfriend? What's he even doing at a carnival which took place in Strongsville, which is way on the other side of town from Willoughby?

On the other hand, why is a 16 year old girl voluntarily going to a carnival (presumably) alone with her boyfriend's dad...unless she's setting him up? And given the fact that the son sounds like he's no good, couldn't it be true that the dad is being framed? If the lawyer were some kind of pervert, isn't it conveniently coincidental that it's coming out now? And what's the 35 year old son doing with a 16 year old girlfriend?

I hope further evidence becomes available. Otherwise I wish good luck to whichever judge or jury has to sort this one out.

Cleveland Plain Dealer article

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

the 16-year old's boyfriend is 35?
    who the?

isn't that slightly illegal?

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Um...yes. I neglected to mention that. Post changed to reflect that.

4. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Maybe she liked the son so much she thought she'd try the original. Bizarre.

Bunch of idiots.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

bizzare is right. i can't help but think that the girl is a pawn in all of this though for some reason.

6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

At least the charge against Mr. Roth includes the word gross. In these cases it is always difficult getting to the truth.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I agree that the whole story is fishy. It also occurs to me that regardless of whether Mr. Roth (Sr.) is found innocent of the charges, he will be forever smeared as a pervert. People will never hear his name again without thinking to themselves, "Oh yeah, Daniel Roth; that guy they caught messing around with a 16 year-old girl." :rolleyes:

8. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Puahah, thanks for the laugh.

Too bad the topic itself remains extremely disturbing...

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

One fun aspect: this is exactly the kind of story that rag sheets love: lurid on all sides.

I can't wait to see the take our local "Action News!" station, channel 19, does with this. Probably lots of fire engine-red graphics, blurred faces and hushed voices. :rolleyes:

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I hope her and the boyfriend gets charged as well.....35 year old man with a 16 year old girl..the things that happen in the world.

Bless

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Trust a Lawyer? thats just so funny because Lawyers will do things rats wont. I believe the girl.

12. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

13. Queso macrumors G4

Up until reading this, I was convinced all the stories on Jerry Springer were made up :eek: :rolleyes:

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

15. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Innocent until proven guilty. Her word isn't enough to convict him without her providing PROOF that he done this. And he shouldn't have to prove his innocence, but after this is over, should counter-sue like a mother****er because of his name being drug through the mud.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

By legal standards perhaps, but these days it seems that whomever speaks up first wins, and/or accusations alone are enough.

Who thinks OJ did it? Not guilty in court.
    Who thinks Michael Jackson did it? Also not guilty in court.
    Who thinks the Duke lacrosse team should be strung up? That hasn't even gone to court yet.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

You're absolutely right, though. If this guy gets cleared he should do some legal dragging of his own.

17. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Who cares if age of consent is 16, how sick a male do you have to be to screw a 16 year old who is not even out of high school yet? can't get women closer to his own age to date him...hmm maybe there is a reason why.

Now don't get me wrong 15+ year age gaps do work but when both are little older.

As for this case I think she was dating them both and decided the younger was better... ;)

18. madog macrumors 65816

madog

People used to get married and have children at this age with the women often being much younger than the men. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still going on in villages and weird countries I don't even know about. And who said they are "screwing"?

Yes, but who's to say when that gap is "right" and when it's "wrong". Certain ages [below consent laws] are obviously grossly illegal but if she was 18 and he was 36 would it be the same? 18 and 50? Anna Nicole Smith and J. Howard Marshall?

I know what your saying though, my grandpa is married to someone almost thirty years younger. She's 58 and he is in his late 80's. But where is that cut off point?

By that rational the boyfriend probably came to that same conclusion.

Now, I'm not condoning anything here. Just playing devil's advocate.

19. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

:eek:

Attached Files:

20. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Stupid case, next...

21. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

The real question is will anyone allow this guy to represent them again?

22. Arnaud macrumors 6502

It's clearly bad for the lawyer, if the public makes its own opinion. Although the whole case looks very suspicious on the son's side.

There was a case in France 30 years ago (or something like that), where a girl accused a teacher of raping her. The teacher's career and life were ruined. Even though it was proved later that it was a scheme from the girl, who got unhappy about some marks or treatment. :(
    (Since then, any interview between a teacher and a student has to be done with the class-room door open).

Regarding the 16 years/31 years: I don't condemn automatically (big) age differences, but this one looks ridiculous. There's a high chance you be a jerk to date a 16-year old girl when you're 31 in 2006 - while you could easier date a 30-year old when you're 45. At 31, it just means your brain stopped evolving since high-school, and you don't mind the chit-chatting about school problems / parents relationships / teenage issues. Or she wants a new daddy.

23. Queso macrumors G4

He's got a car and Daddy's credit cards. Therefore he can easily impress her 16 year old mind. Older girls see through all that pretty quickly, and my guess he's got nothing much else to offer.

The guy sounds like an absolute loser to me. He's probably manipulated her into doing this, and of course with her only being 16 she's all willing to please her man and gone along with it. Whether or not Daddy took advantage is another point entirely.

Whatever, it's a real insight into the pond scum that we share the planet with.

24. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

As has already been stated, the question really is WHY were they at a fairground together? She must have gone through choice, because you don't kidnap someone and take them to a public (i.e. Neverland excepted :)) fairground. The article doesn't say why they were there together but when that is established I imagine this could be more straightforward to solve than appears at the moment.

Was the son down below waiting for them? Who suggested they go? If it was the father then it would reduce the chance of it being a set-up; unless they arranged it enough in advance for the son or girl to conceive the plan. If it was the girl's suggestion then I think even an impartial judge would see a red light (and not in her favour). If the son wasn't there, then big red light regardless of who arranged it.

Regarding the age difference issue, as someone already mentioned, the conversation of a 16 year old is unlikely to interest an older man, even a 20 year old. But that is a sweeping generalization because of the 6.5 billion people on the planet there must be such relationships that are made in heaven. Needless to say this all boils down to society's views at this moment in time. Homosexuality was on a par with bestiality just a generation or two ago. Now famous pop stars of the same sex can marry in celebrated public carnival, a la Elton. To condemn those people openly would be very politically incorrect. In fact there are parallels between the sexual orientation/age difference issues with regard to society's views of yesterday/today:

"It's disgusting. Completely unnatural"
    "Why? They both want it and no-one gets hurt"
    "But it isn't normal. What's wrong with someone their own [sex/age]"

I'm pretty pragmatic with most things in life. That''s not to say I like everything that happens, but I hope I would try not to condemn out of narrow-mindedness. I would rather condemn if people are getting hurt.

Is this a world view or based on living in Camden :D

25. Arnaud macrumors 6502

I wouldn't judge (officially, as in giving an official verdict) anyone in this story "guilty" or "innocent" based solely on the article we read. But my view is biased by my own perception of the elements.

We all have pre-conceived opinions. I hope being "narrow-minded" means sticking to these pre-conceived opinions, instead of willingfully confronting them with the other possible scenarii. I hope I'm not that narrow-minded to say "I know what happened there, come on".

So far, I just think it looks bad and dubious on many points :rolleyes: