Which Sleeve to pair with a backpack (Vertical) ??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ryan1524, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

i'm wondering if i should get a vertical oriented sleeve (Monolith) or a horizontal one (Brain Cell) from tom bihn. i'm going to use it with my North Face pack, it's plenty big and i can stuff the PB and several books in there for univ and it's very comfy.

the Monolith would be ideal, since i can pull out the PB without taking the entire bundle out of the bag, but it's pretty ugly if i ever want to carry only the notebook (with the sleeve). for such purposes, the Brain cell with its horizontal orientation seems to be better. But, if i get the brain cell, it's hard to take it out, i'll ahve to pull the entire thing out before i can get to the PB. and there are no bottom protection, since with the brain cell, the protection would be on the side, and what's the point of that. i need the bottom.

what do you think?? or should i get lighter weight sleevs like the Shinza Zeroshock or a Crumpler school hymn instead??

2. Bhennies macrumors 6502

3. Ryan1524 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

yea, Waterfield's nice. but it doesn't look like it has a hard shell - at least not like the ones in Monolith or Brain cell. those two are re-inforced with corrugated plastic.

the reason i like the Tom Bihns is because they have this suspension system that basically keeps the notebook from ever touching the ground. and since the laptop compartment on my borealis is not suspended and goes straight to the bottom of the bag, i kinda feel that this type of protection is necessary..since i'll probly be dropping it rather roughly with 20-30 lbs of books in it. :p

but then you're using it with an arc-teryx. how is it?? holding up just fine?? maybe i should reconsider the W|F's. it does look much better than the monolith.

4. gdavid macrumors newbie

I just got a zeroshock sleeve, even though it is a lighter weight sleeve and doesn't have a shell it is very thick and I am happy with the protection it provides.