Which Songs Make Good Ringtones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by EricBrian, Sep 11, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

So, was wondering which songs make good ringtones?

I thought about Blondie's Call Me. What else?

2. macrumors 65816

That's cute. ABBA's "Ring Ring". The White Stripes' "My Door Bell". Talk Talk's "Talk Talk". Yaz's (Or Yazoo's, depending on if you're in the UK or the States) "Bad Connection". Silver Scooter's "Tribute To The Phone Calls". Tom Waits's "Telephone Call From Istanbul". The Straford 4's "Telephone". The Be Good Tanyas' "Broken Telephone". Those should give you a start, anyway. Bear in mind I haven't checked those to see if they are iTunes ringtone-approved and I own a lot of them from CDs so iTunes won't let me use them.

I'm using Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Sixteen Tons", which I already bought from iTunes and was surprised to find was ringtone-friendly. Used to use the theme from the 1970s "Sanford and Son" TV program on a Nokia phone -- look at my user name; that's my real name -- but I haven't checked to see if iTunes has it available for ringtones. I'll probably buy about 10 ringtones and then the thrill will be gone, but it's a very elegant little ringtone-purchasing solution with a much wider and diverse variety -- I mean come on, Ford's "Sixteen Tons"? -- than you'll find with any mobile carrier.

Face it: the best ringtone for an iPhone is the Alarm ringtone personalized for your boss, mother-in-law, substance abusing cousin, money-borrowing kids, ex-wife or ex-husband (or unmarried versions of each) or whomever.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Wow, tons of great choices! :) Gonna try a couple of them.

4. macrumors regular

Men at Work - Who can it be now?
    The Police - Mother

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Like somebody else said in a different thread:

6. macrumors member

My ringtone is from "The Wonder Pets".

"The Phone, the phone is ringing... the phone, we'll be right there....."

7. G75
    macrumors newbie

Well, apparently not "Feel Good Inc" by the Gorillaz. Despite being 14th on the "Top Ringtones" list, you can't actually USE it as a ringtone in iTunes.

I would know. :mad:

:apple:
    G75
    :apple:

8. macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

As a man with a young one I say "That's great!!!"

9. macrumors member

yeah. My little girl smiles everytime it goes off.

10. macrumors newbie

11. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Intros to kids' songs are great.

Cut them down to end before the characters start singing. Almost every song by the Doodlebops starts out with a great ringtone opportunity.

Also, find albums of movie soundtracks but don't use the main theme. Listen to the closing credits for 'Raiders of the Lost Ark.' Skip past the loud and obvious "Indiana Jones Theme" to the quieter parts. Some of those are ringtones on my phone.

12. macrumors 6502

kaibex

Anyone got any 2010 suggestions?

13. Say My Name, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

macrumors newbie

Say My Name

Wazzup

Hi to all, for my ringtone opportunity I download free ringtones for my phone ...
    funny.. pop.. hip-hop.. for any interests .. :cool:

14. macrumors regular

I made my ringtones from:
    - In the black of night (by Slow Train)
    - Piensa en mi (by Luz Casal)
    - Lilly (by Pink Martini)
    - Rhythm (by Casey McGill)

15. macrumors newbie

convert it

Almost all of the Apple store tunes are now DRM (Digital Rights Management) free, meaning you can use them to create ringtones. No song is a ringtone out of the box - it has to be converted to a ringtone, and saved to iTunes in a ringtone format. There are free or cheap apps in the Apple App store to do this.

If your Gorillaz tune has DRM on it, you may be able to upgrade it to a non-DRM version in the iTunes store for 40 cents or so. :)

16. macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Let me pay more for something I already bought. :mad:

17. macrumors member

years ago i had one of the original windows based mobiles (HTC canary or orange SPV)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_SPV and i used to have Van Halen's "jump" intro on there as my ring tone.....must redo it sometime as it was a great tone and easy to listen out for. The phone was great for the time and really microsoft could have had the whole smartphone market sown up if they had the vision of apple.

My existing one is a funky ultrasonic one whereby it starts with some feedback type of noise then slowly goes very high pitched to the point i can't hear it then back down again - fantastic for noisy environments like clubs, bars etc as i seldom miss a phone call.

18. macrumors 68020

toolbox

i have WWE themes for some of my tones for certain contacts