Which sounds better to you...

Discussion in 'Community' started by 3777, Jan 16, 2003.

1. 3777 macrumors 6502

1 17inch LCD iMac & 1 12inch G4 Powerbook for about $3300

OR

1 17inch G4 Powerbook for about $3300.......?

P.S. I would have done a poll but haven't figured out where the "make a poll" option is...:mad:

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Wow, that's actually a reall tough call. I suppose it would depend on what i was using it for... All in all, the iMac and powerbook package would probably win, tho the Powerbook just has the extra coolness factor, i wouldn't need the screen space on the go - when i carried it around, the size would be annoying, but when i was working at it at home, having to bend my neck down and use the thinner keys would be annoying. So the duo package it is, for me :)

pnw

3. vniow macrumors G4

I'd definately go with the 17" iMac and 12" Powerbook.

You could either have one big computer that serves as your desktop and portable, or have an actual desktop plus an extra (small) notebook to carry around.

4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Go with the 17" iMac/12" PB. You would have a great portable and a good desktop.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Definitely the iMac and the 12" Powerbook. The best of both worlds. The smallest most powerful computer on the planet and the best all in one. How can you beat that. Well it could be a DDR1.25 with a 23"HD and the Powerbook but that wasn't a choice now was it?

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the question i have is... are you planning to use them entirely together? in other words, how much data would you be sharing? would you want the same songs on both? etc... also, legally, would you have to get 2 copies of each piece of software? not sure on that one myself

i don't know, i think you could use the powerbook exclusively and be fine... but if you have ANY reason to have a tiny portable, then the 2 is probably the way to go

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Legally yes you would have to have either two copies of each software or only have each installed on one or the other computer at one time. Who would do that though. If you own two computers I couldn't blame you for having installed it on both.

To share data between them you can start either of them up off of firewire target disk mode and share data at 400Mb/s. Or through Airport which would be slower but you could do it from separate rooms.

8. medea macrumors 68030

medea

go for the iMac and Powerbook combo, youd have a both a capable desktop and laptop that way. Oh and if you buy a program then in my opinion it is yours and you can install it on all of your machines, it only becomes a problem when it's not home users doing it but big businesses as well. Apple is not going to bust you for installing Keynote on two macs.....

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i agree, i wouldn't blame someone for having it on both, just curious what the rule is

as for data sharing, yeah, it's not "hard" to do... i'mm just saying, if you want the same data on both, it might be more of a hassle than it's worth to have both.... something to think about at least.

10. medea macrumors 68030

medea

go for the iMac and Powerbook combo, youd have a both a capable desktop and laptop that way. Oh and if you buy a program then in my opinion it is yours and you can install it on all of your machines, it only becomes a problem when it's not home users doing it but big businesses as well. Apple is not going to bust you for installing Keynote on two macs.....

11. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

iMac+12" PB!!!!

On the software: You could legally put the software on both machines, as long as you are the only one that has access to running the programs, and you don't run the program on both machines at the same time. At least that was the explanation from our IS guy...

In essence, It's like you buy a computer, install app, it gets sold or destroyed, you get another comp, you can install you app again.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Except in this situation you still have the old computer. Technically if you have read the license agreements they say one computer period at a time. Not install on more then one and use only one at a time but installed on one at a time.

13. treknerd macrumors newbie

17" PB

I personally would go for the 17" PB. I wouldn't need a separate desktop machine, because I would just take my PowerBook home and use that. No need to transfer files or anything. And that 17" screen would be great on the go for a graphic artist/video editor like myself. Just my 2 cents.

14. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

That was the point of my post: legally you can claim you only use it on one machine, no one else can log on to the other one to prove you wrong, or use it at the same time that you are using it. ;)

15. 3777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Bah, I never pay attention to that license crap anyway. If I buy the hardware & software then I don't want to hear it:eek: ..........:D ........ what I am thinking is once people realize they can get a 17inch iMac and 12 inch powerbook for the same price as a single 17inch powerbook...... maybe Apple's price for it will seem a little over the top.......:confused:

P.S. Heck they could also get a loaded eMac & 15 inch Powerbook (when updated)...... etc...... for that price

16. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I currently have the 17" iMac, and I have had the iBook, which the 12" PowerBook is a glorified iBook. And a 15" PowerBook.

So, that being said, go with the 17" PowerBook. Power of a desktop and it is still portable.

17. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I would go with the 17" powerbook. It has the DDR, airport extreme, 64MB graphics, 1GHz (none of which the iMac has), and an all-round coolness factor that edges out the iMac/mini-powerbook combo. What would i need the two computer for, if i could get them both in one case?

edit: lest i should forget, you also get the faster firewire with 17" powerbook :)

18. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

hmm, good idea with both, but how about this? Get the 12"PB and then buy a used G4 tower and monitor with the $1500 difference. Then you can expand with PCI cards and extra HD's if you need to, and you're not limited with monitor size and you can also just hook up that monitor to the 12" Ai PB.
    Or you could just get the 12" and spend the rest of the cash on Hookers, Booze, and Blackjack!

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

and hardcore drugs..... this certainly gets my vote!

20. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Except that you will soon be pawning that 12" PB for more drug money...

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

like you wouldn't be pawning it for whores and gambling? ;)

22. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

im currently pawning whores and hardcore drugs for the new 17" powerbook...

btw... id go with the 17"imac and 12" powerbook...

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

the sign of a true nerd.. i guess you've found your place here then. ha! :)

24. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

not that ill debate my geek like tendancies... but maybe ill just keep my whores and hardcore drugs... ive got the 15" ti anyway...

25. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ha. you're the man now dawg.