Which speaker system can an MDD use?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yellow, Mar 23, 2006.

1. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I'm sorry, I just don't understand what all the 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, etc, ad nauseam, actually means and frankly, I don't really care. I currently have these beige, ancient, crappy "Labtec" speakers that I've had for almost 10 years. Time to upgrade.

I have an MDD here with a 3.5mm analog speaker output that I'd like to get some new speakers to use with. Since I have an ancient (but still nifty looking) 22" cinema display, I'd like something that "looks nice" with them. Which clearly these do not:

What can I use? I don't want to spend a mint, I just want better speakers. Can I use the "2.1" with the subwoofer and 2 satellite?

Like something off this page [?]:

More specifically these:

Or these:

Thanks for your help!
  2. iPhil macrumors 68040

the speaker termology: 2.1 is 2 small speakers/subwoofer... 5.1 is 4 small speakers/1 center speaker/subwoofer .. 7.1 is 6 small speakers/1 center speaker/subwoofer

5.1/7.1 systems is used in surround sound systems :eek: :eek:
  3. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2004
    Any of those 2.1 computer speaker systems will work for you, they should all have a single 3.5 mm jack. I prefer klipsch or logitech and since it doesn't seem like your an audiophile, pretty much any of these will be a great upgrade to what you have now. Klipsch is probably a bit out of your budget range. I would go for logitechs if you sticking to the 30-40 dollar range.
  4. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Aaahhhh.. I see. Then I definitely can stick with a 2.1 system. Thanks for the info!

Yeah, this is at work, so I'm no springing for great speakers. Many thanks for the info!