Which speakers are the best?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BKKloppenborg, May 18, 2005.

1. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

I need a portable set of speakers to take with me to school that sound ok.. I like these here but i know i would have to buy the ifire adapter for Powerbook and the cheapest price i found was 31.94 shipped.. Plus another 30 dollers for the speakers above which means over 61 dollers just for portable speakers!!!! Any suggestings? i saw these to and they are cheaper and look ok.. Any suggestings on Portable speakers the cheaper and better sounding the better.. :D

Also need Speakers for Home for the desk... I LOVE these but very expensive... Still thinking about them, Also these are cheaper and i heard good sound but they look just ok not as good as Sound sticks.. ;)

Last ones are these i use this same EXACT model for my Xbox sound because TV sound is only Mono and sounds soooo crappy.. I love these ones the sound is great! They are the cheapest to... So what would you guys get?

This is for a Powerbook...

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

How portable is "portable" to you? I don't consider anything with a subwoofer that portable.

If you want something with a subwoofer for cheap, These are hard to beat. I am talking the model, not THAT single item #.

3. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for that link ya top 2 ones would be ones i would use at portable bottom ones for Home desk... I don't want to sarry a subwoofer with me LOL :eek:

4. tom5304 macrumors regular

I'd like to warn you away from the JBL On Stage speakers, which are designed for the iPod but also have an auxiliary input that makes them appropriate for your computer speakers.

I bought a refurbished On Stage, direct from JBL, and the thing wouldn't work right out of the box. And to top it off, the unit was greasy and dirty, with several large chips in the paint. I don't mind some imperfections for my lower-priced refurbished products, but JBL sent me a pile of dirty junk that didn't even work.

The On Stage speakers sound great when they're working in the Apple store, but my impression of JBL's quality control is that they don't have a clue. There are a plethora of JBL quality control nightmares out there, but I thought I'd give them a shot. Looks like they misfired...

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I can't advise on any of the others, but I've got a pair of the Creature speakers and I've no complaints with them.

6. retrocool macrumors newbie

Instead of getting two sets of speakers, you could get one. I have, and am insanely happy with, an iPal. http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=161
    It is mono, but the sound quality is absolutely amazing.It has built-in rechargeable batteries so it's truly portable, and they last ages. (14 hours, I think it says in the brochure). It has a built-in radio, which to me is an excellent addition for my purposes. It is quite expensive but it has very solid build quality, and as I mentioned, really good sound reproduction. I suppose the mono might rule it out if you wanted to play games with 3d sound. The volume level is enough for my purposes but would be quiet at a party. I'm trying to be even-handed here, and I'm not usually over enthusiastic like this, but I really love this piece of kit. And if you have the dubious honour of being American, you can get it in dollars for what I paid in UK pounds - that's about half what I paid.
    When my brother bought an apple mac (he's a halo effect switcher) I immediately recommended he get one of these, and he thinks it's great too.

(edit minor typo)

7. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys i bought a nice pair of portable speakers that i know will work with mac and for the Powerbook or even my PC laptop... 25 dollers shipped not bad..

mmmm should i get these

for about 30 dollers shipped.. (Good reviews on them to)

or sound Sticks damn those things look good lol.. But 120-130 dollers :eek:

p.s what sound card does the 12" powerbook come with? any stero sound like 2.1 or anything like that would these work well? here

8. BONDS macrumors newbie

I have to agree with you and say that Creature II are awesome speakers and they look really cool. No complaints here!! :)

Another reason they are amazing is because I only had to pay $45 for them brand new thanks to crutchfield.

9. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

nice price! Lowest i have seen is about 63... Should i get those or i decided not to get 5.1 sound Because powerbook probaly dosn't have it.. But i like these alot and cheap!!!

here

It looks good to better then most speakers i have seen....

DAMn right now their 99 dollers off their web site WOW

10. BONDS macrumors newbie

i had 60 bucks off from referring people to crutchfield.

11. unfaded macrumors 6502

I would personally not get the Logitechs. Logitech speakers are notorious for having very poor midrange. Also stay away from Bose - you are completely and totally paying for a name.

I am all about Creative/Cambridge Soundworks speakers for PC's, and Polk speakers otherwise.

12. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for telling me, ooo i found these and they are nice but damn kinda expensive and can't spend that much right now... here

or i can just buy another same system i use now for my Xbox and it produces GREAT sound here is what i looks like here

I can get that one for ALOT cheaper sure it isn't as Sexy but it looks fine, and speakers don't tip over like i heard Creative ones are so light they tip over a lot damn i will tell you guys what i decide to get...

13. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I could not disagree more. I have a set of Bose MediaMates I bought 3 years ago for $99 and they are great speakers. The new updated set is called Companion 2's. They also retail for $99, but some places have them as low as $80. If you want...BOOM, BOOM, don't get Bose, but if you want to hear music with clarity from a small speaker then Bose is the way to go. Bose is by far not the greatest speakers, but when it comes to small speakers they do amazing things. They understand how to acoustically design a small speaker and it's enclosure to get big and clear sound from it. I have 3 Bose products and I am happy with all of them, good quality stuff, most of it made in the USA. Their small computer speakers are not, but my Bose Wave Music System in my bedroom is made in the USA as are my Acoustimass speakers. You will find a lot of Bose bashers, just for the sake of bashing them, but go and listen to all the rest of the little $50-100 2 speaker systems, then listen to the Bose. Seriously.

14. BKKloppenborg thread starter macrumors regular

well just got these speakers can't beat the price i have these at home same excat model and i know their great speakers so bought another pair for Mac.. 16.50 cents Shipped LMAO.. nice deal...

Thanks for help guys...

P.S. ALMOST got the creative speakers but i figure the less money i spend on a Item i know that is good the more money i will have left to buy things for Mac latter...

link here wooo i won

15. anubis macrumors 6502a

For Home and desk, nothing less than the Klipsch Reference series will do for me ;)

16. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I have a pair of the Creature Speakers (first version). They sound great, especially for the size. Buy them new... warranty, plus they cost 100 us.

17. unfaded macrumors 6502

ACtually they are notorious for using low-quality parts in systems (Paper cones in a $1,500 system? I'll pass). They're not bad, but they're ridiculously overpriced. In the price range, you can, absolutely, always get better speakers.

18. reorx macrumors member

I've always used the Cambridge Soundworks series on my PCs, when I had room under the desk for a sub... I just recently got the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0s and have been pretty happy with them. They sound a lot bigger than they are... The upper mids are a little bright, but again, that is pretty standard of most Klipsch speakers. Overall, I've been very happy. You can buy them direct from Klipsch.

19. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

You know if paper is so bad then why can you find 901's from the late 1960's early 1970's still blasting away full throttle on a 500 watt amp???

Paper is what gives them the acoustics they want and actually you know in tests all the high tech materials in speakers really do not perform better then the paper driver. Stand in front of 2 speakers blindfolded, one paper and one some exotic material and you tell me if you can tell the difference, you probably would even choose the sound of the paper driver if the enclosure is better designed. The newer materials might be tougher, that is true, but do you honestly know how hard it is to blow a Bose driver? Almost impossible, unless you have a weak amp and start clipping them.

True, in many areas Bose is overpriced for what it is, but some areas it is not. Their computer speakers are not overpriced for what you get. Companion 2's are great speakers for under $100. The 201's, 301's and even the 901's are priced right with the competition. The only difference is Bose loudspeakers are made in the USA and most of the competition is made in China. The Acoustimass systems are overpriced, but I have one and it is a great sub-sat system for movies, etc. I love the cubes. Great sound and Bose has a knack for making things look great, kind of like another company we all know and love.

The Lifestyle system is WAY overpriced. I would never buy one. You can do the same with a good receiver and an Acoustimass for $1,000-2,000 less. It looks cool and has ease of use like no other, but is not worth that price at all.

Bose is a privately held company. They have to make a profit or they are done. Simple as that. No one to come in and bail them out when things go south. They produce most products in the US and Mexico. Sure they could charge less if they bought a loudspeaker made in some back door Chinese plant and slapped their name on it, but they design and build their own speakers and labor is not cheap. Even in Mexico, labor is a lot more then in China. Now they make some items in China as well, but for the most part they are domestic.

I am not saying that they are the best in the world, but they have good ideas. They actually study acoustics and how to improve the sound. For Bose the driver is not the most important part of the speaker, the case the driver sits in is. That is what they believe. Maybe it is a stupid idea, but honestly anyone that will tell you anything from Bose sounds like total crap is full of it. They have a different sound, some don't like the Bose sound, but I do. It is crisp. You hear things in the music that you have never heard before, the smallest passages. I like that over something that just thumps and thumps, but that is me. Not everyone will agree. Speakers are totally in the ears of the person that owns them.

Last customer service and warranty is important to them. Bose speakers have a 5 year warranty and they stand behind it. If you have problems with your system you can call them and they will help. I had an issue with the set up of my system and they helped. I called them and within minutes I was talking on the phone to an actual Bose Engineer. This guy was almost talking a little over my level, but he was very nice person and when I was done on the phone I had all my issues solved. Imagine Apple connecting you to a hardware or software engineer when you had a problem, um...yeah right...that would ever happen.

Anyhow I did not mean to be rude at all, I just get tired of people always bashing Bose when they don't understand what they are trying to achieve. Sure using a small driver in a funny case is a weird idea, but you know some in the PC business think using Mac OSX is a weird idea as well. Bose loves to make something that shouldn't work, work. To them it is all a science experiment with acoustics and there really is not anything wrong with that IMO.

20. reorx macrumors member

Actually, given a system that is not put in a damp climate, treated paper cones are just fine... Lots of really nice speaker systems built in the 70s still sound great, and all had paper cones. The cone surround, however, has always been a problem for older speakers. The butyl rubber used today has a far greater life expectancy than the rolled-foam of yesteryear... I've seen many a classic Acoustic Research or Advent speaker lose the foam surrounds. Not a great thing. JBL had an interesting "corrugated" surround that seemed to hold up a little better over time...

Basically the move to "exotic" materials revolved around lowering the mass of the cones while providing higher structural stiffness... Important for larger drivers (most bose speakers don't use big drivers, so its less of an issue).

21. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I just discovered the Kensington Pocket Speakers while paging through an OfficeMax catalog. About $40.