Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
I'm getting an iBook for college in the coming months and I was wondering what speakers I should get. I want to stay under $100 but may convince myself to go slightly over. Which ones do you recommend?

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
well i have a pair of Sennheiser headphones (HD212 pro), but I would like some great speakers that I can crank up whenever the mood strikes.

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
I'll second the creatures.. great speakers and you can get them for 60-70 bucks online if you look hard enough.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
For less than $100, the Logitech z-2300's are hard to bet. They provide a much fuller sound than the over-hyper (IMO) HK SoundSticks.

I listen to everything from classical to prog and jazz and these perform very nicely.

The Logitech X-230's mentioned are OK, but they distort and don't really have a lot of presence.

If you want something to match your Mac a little more, Logitech's Z-4i's are pretty good for less than $70.

I have both of these speakers and am quite pleased. Now when I get those Klipsch ProMedia's...

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
really depends on how big and what the acoustics are of your dorm room. i have a pretty small room on a 'quiet' floor and i got $25 harman kardon speakers off woot.com. since the volume is usually low, and never gets turned up, these and my apple in-ear headphones are more than enough for my musical self.

blckout20

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
CT
My recommendation goes to the Klipsch ProMedia GMX A 2.1 speakers. They can get pretty loud and manage to have an all around good sound. They are $150 I think which is a little over what you listed as a price but I really like these speakers. I don't own them however but have heard them a couple times and haven't heard anything bad from people who do own them.

ieani

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2006
the states for now
emaja said:
For less than $100, the Logitech z-2300's are hard to bet. They provide a much fuller sound than the over-hyper (IMO) HK SoundSticks.

I listen to everything from classical to prog and jazz and these perform very nicely.

The Logitech X-230's mentioned are OK, but they distort and don't really have a lot of presence.

If you want something to match your Mac a little more, Logitech's Z-4i's are pretty good for less than $70.

I have both of these speakers and am quite pleased. Now when I get those Klipsch ProMedia's...

The Soundsticks would be good enough for a dorm, but I only bought mine because of aesthetics. My infinity surround system is far more powerful.

nosser

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Orange County California
emaja said:
If you want something to match your Mac a little more, Logitech's Z-4i's are pretty good for less than $70.[/URL]...

I can't really tell if these are white or silver? I think they are silver-ish. I too am looking for speakers too and was looking at creature II only because they are white. I would love them if they are white.

madtodaimax

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
i have the z-2300's in my dorm connected to my 12"pb. i think its a great setup. the sound is clear and the bass is better than expected for such a small system and the price. if you are looking for more power, i believe logitech sells a 2.1 thx certified (z4?) system that has a more powerful sub than their 5.1 system.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
madtodaimax said:
i believe logitech sells a 2.1 thx certified (z4?) system that has a more powerful sub than their 5.1 system.

The z-2300s are Logitech's only 2 channel THX certified speakers. While the Z-4s sound very good for the price, they are not quite as good as the 2300s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.