which steve jobs do you like?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Apr 28, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

steve the businessman/ceo?

or

steve the artistic, visionary, marketing man?

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I like the one that throws things off the stage when they don't work. :D

(Not sure which one that falls under!)

3. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i like neither

i like the one that motivates people by any means necessary

although it sounds like he can be an ass, i really wish i could work for him. i don't care if i get yelled at or pressured... the best work is done under pressure and steve realizes that and uses it to make people do their best

but that makes me wonder... what is he still doing at apple and in the business? he's obviously wealthy and still considered successful. he could easily just stop working at apple and be ok

sometimes i wonder if he considers apple his child/life because he spends so much time wanting to control it and make the company successful (he doesn't want apple's image tarnished)

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

if there could be a fine line in between...that's the one I'd go for...

I really....really love his artistic & creative side...but like many artists...he just doesn't have the best business sense... :rolleyes:

most artistic individuals tend to be a bit unorganized...some (like myself) walk the fine line and try to have some degree of order in their lives...I often get flamed by my friends for sticking to a schedule to get things done day to day... :eek:

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

so could bill gates or plenty of other folks though...

just curious, what exactly did he throw off the stage? when was it? etc...

i'm not up on all these types of things

6. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

The reference is to a camera that he tossed off-stage at MacWorld when it didn't work with Image Capture the way it was supposed to. It was rather humourous, but one of those things where you immediately had that sinking feeling.. the feeling that "this is going on the blooper reel"

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

interesting... i take it this was a relatively recent expo? which one?

that's kinda funny. though i could see it being a bad omen for sure... if he can't get it to work, who can... those types of thoughts running through the heads of many i'm sure.

8. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

9. ericb88 macrumors member

the steve jobs who gives us the G5 at MWNY with bus speeds of over 300mhz,ddr ram,and a 15" apple lcd display standard as a bto option.(the base would be about 2000$)

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I would have liked to have seen Jobs throw Gates off a stage.

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Steve Jobs the arrogant ******* is my favorite - seriously. He doesn't buckle under pressure, he doesn't take ****, and he thinks he's the greatest! I wouldn't have it any other way. To reference John Lennon:

"When I was a Beatle, I thought we were the best group in the goddamn world! And believing that was what made us what we were."

People are saying, "port OS X to x86!" Any other CEO would. "Dump the PPC and embrace AMD!" Any other CEO would. Yet Jobs wouldn't. I'm not an Apple fanboy, but Jobs actually seems to put the "Apple community" above profit and revenues (to some degree), whereas with every single other computer company the CEO could really give a **** about the product line as long as they're making money.

Can you imagine what would happen to the Macintosh platform if Jobs got hit by a bus and killed tomorrow? It would be a very dark day. It's a bit unnerving to me knowing that whoever will succeed Jobs will probably manage to screw things up somehow, as all prevous non-Jobs CEOs have done.

Alex

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

closer examination has good and bad points of all apple ceos and i certainly think overall, steve jobs did better than gil amelio, but i certainly wouldn't say scully was bad, even if he had to toss steve out of the company in the old days

steve jobs was instrumental in getting steve wozniak's invention into the marketplace, but today, he could be replaced at apple since macs have a dedicated fanbase

i think steve jobs knows this and if he gets kicked out this time, he is fine since he is worth somewhere around a billion dollars ...and getting paid one dollar a year and having one share of apple stock, he would not lose out on potential future income

what steve jobs is doing at apple is more like volunteer work and i think mr. jobs is already set up for life financially...or set up for several lifetimes:D

apple is steve jobs' passion