Which stock Macbook Pro model to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macrants, Mar 2, 2006.

1. macrants macrumors member

Jun 16, 2003
    I am a n00b here, but I did do a search. I am obsessed with the MacBook Pro. I've read the user's guide, the service manual, and every forum post I can find about people waiting for and receiving them.

I have a choice to make today, about which model. I don't want to wait to order one from my sources online, that could take forever, but would save me some $$.

So now I can get the 1.87, or pay $450 more for the 2.0. I'm thinking the 2x512 dual channel is going to be faster than the single 1 Gig, so I'll get an extra 512 stick. Eventually, I'm going to crack it open and replace the HD with a 160GB (or higher) perpendicular drive, so the 80GB is fine.

My main concern is processor speed and video, is that worth the extra $500?

I have 2 hours before the store opens and the machines go on sale, then we don't know when the next shipment will be. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the MBP, but not which one to get. The only other person I know that has a MacBook has the 2.16 and will mock me for purchasing a lesser model, rather than advise me.

Thanks in advance, guys.
  2. macrants thread starter macrumors member

Jun 16, 2003
    Oops, I didn't want to be that guy, where they don't tell you what they want to do with it, but ask which is better. I do some moderate video editing, a lot of writing, and I would like to be able to play games from time to time. I do some light graphic design work, and plan to rip the hell out of my DVD collection with Handbrake.

Is the extra horsepower and video RAM worth $500 in anyone's opinion? I can't find a comparison ANYWHERE between the 1.87 and 2.0 (except on Apple's lame "what's inside").

Thanks again macheads!