Which to Choose: Black MacBook vs 17" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by andym172, May 17, 2006.


Which would you choose:

  1. Purchase the current 17" MacBook Pro?

  2. Purchase a Black MacBook and upgrade to a 17" Pro within the next 12-18 months?

  3. Purchase and keep the Black MacBook?

  1. andym172 macrumors 6502

    Oct 24, 2003
    I currently have a 17" Powerbook and would usually look to replace it with the highest spec laptop have available - at this time the 17" MacBook Pro, BUT I've been stung by purchasing a couple of 'revision A' products before and so usually wait until 'rev B'.

    It's also rumoured that a newer, faster, chip will soon be going into the Pro's.

    This has led me to consider going for a black MacBook. Though it also would be a 'rev A' it's half the amount of the 17" Pro and I feel would hold its value well should I choose to upgrade to the 17" at a later date.

    So, what would you choose?
  2. fredwards macrumors member

    Jul 20, 2005
    It depends what you are doing.

    I just returned a (defective) 17inch MBP and have also been contemplating which laptop is right for me. If you don't need the larger screen or the FW800, I would say that the Macbook is VERY capable for almost half the price.

    The downside is that the GMA950 graphics in the Macbook doesn't support pro apps like FCP5 or Aperture.

    This is what is KILLLING ME. I am not a "pro" user but did have the intention to run FCP on a Macbook. The fact that it cannot is a drawback.

    I say if you're not in a rush, wait it out and see what happens. Merom is coming to life in August and if we look at timelines, a Macbook update might not be to much farther after that. Also I lost alot of faith in the MBP after receiving a HOT HOT HOT 17 inch that whines. So bottom line, I'm still afraid of the MBP REV-A.
  3. entropy1980 macrumors regular


    May 14, 2003
    Canyon Country, CA
    I had the same dilemma and I cancelled my MBPro 17" in favor of a Black MB. Bottom line was the MBPro's are all having some issues to some degree and for roughly half the cost of the 17" I can deal with some issues and not sacrifice a whole lot.
  4. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

    Oct 13, 2005
    If you don't NEED it, then wait. Especially with the new stuff coming in 3 months.
    Otherwise get whatever will get the job done. A computer is nothing more than a tool to make work easier.

    Re: Rev. A I don't know if that term has much meaning anymore with new chips spewing out of Intel every few months. It's not like the old days when a design would last for years with just speed bumps. Now, we are getting new chips faster, each with their own set of issues. Heat and whine may be gone in "Rev. B" but a new issue may crop up. :confused:

    Now, personally, I don't NEED a new computer right now. But I will most likely buy two laptops in January and hand off my two iBooks (mine and my wife's) to my daughters who are using old iMacs (tangerine and lime). With my oldest going into 6th grade, she could use a laptop, albeit not a great one.
  5. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

    Aug 2, 2005
    On an island in Maine
    I tend to second what others say, that while the brand new Intel Macs are really nice, it would probably be wiser to wait a little while before buying one. If you powerbook is working fine, why not hang on to it a little longer until more apps are universal and until those Merom processors they've been hypinng are in the MacBooks.

    I for one don't plan on going to Intel Macs anytime soon because the apps I use aren't and won't be Universal for a while (CS, Vue, Poser, Flash).
  6. cycocelica macrumors 68000


    Apr 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    Wait till about July/August to buy a new one. Just see what happens till then. If your PB works fine for now, wait, no need to drop another $2000 for a computer.
  7. milo macrumors 604

    Sep 23, 2003
    This poll needs another option: purchase and keep the white MB.
  8. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I say go for the current revision of the 17" MacBook Pro. It is an awesome machine that will last you for years to come! :)
  9. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502


    Sep 17, 2003
    South America
    I would imagine that the black macbooks will not go used for $200 more than equivalent white ones. If you want something that holds its value, buy a white one.
  10. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6

    I agree, the black MacBook is not likely to be worth much more than the white MacBook of the same speed. :)
  11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Mar 30, 2004
    YES! I'm not the only one stuck in this position!

    I can't decide. The MB will hold value better, but I could just get the MBP and be done with it.

    They both have visual/aesthetic appeal, which doesn't help either.

    Maybe it's time for a lotto ticket...
  12. Eniregnat macrumors 68000


    Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    I generally only buy a new computer when I need it. I couldn't justify, unless life required it, upgrading to a newer and better computer with in a year, regardless of how much money I had.

    [Edit] Though a plaid or orange might get me to upgrade needlessly.

    All this aside, if it is a neccesity, get what you need today, and upgrade later. There is no shame in getting new equipment because of need. But If you can wait, I would wait a year.
  13. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    LOL :D Just hope that it is a winner. ;) :)
  14. taco2004 macrumors member

    Apr 9, 2006
    I just got my 17" Macbook Pro last week. I might be willing to sell your my 17" for a great price(i got a great discount on mine). Email me or IM me if you are interested. I have some selling references if needed.

  15. Vaphoron macrumors 6502


    Aug 5, 2004
    I am in a similar situation and I believe I may have finally decided on what I'm going to do. I have a 17" PowerBook G4 that I really wanted to upgrade to the 17" MBP but I wasn't sure that this is the right time to do it.

    Since I found out that Amazon is doing a $100 rebate on the MacBooks, I think I have decided that I'm going to get the $1099 white MacBook, even though I really want the black one, I just don't think it will hold the value as well. I will eventually sell both and possibly upgrade to the newer versions because I would like to have two laptops for what I do.
  16. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502


    Feb 13, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Agreed...I don't believe that the black one will hold at $200 over the white one in the used/refurbished world.

    To the OP: I'm in the same situation. I have a 17" PB and have pretty much been set on upgrading to the 17" MBP, but I wanted to wait to see the *entire* line of intel-based portables before deciding. Now that I've been able to play with the 15" and 17" MBPs and the new MacBooks, I'm pretty much decided. I still want the 17" MBP...I just can't give up the screen real estate that I have with a 17" screen. Also, I have my own personal reasons for not purchasing the MacBook (all aesthetic, btw :p ).

    So, here's my dilemma: Do I sell my 17" PB now while I can still expect to fetch a decent price for it and then buy a Rev.A 17" MBP? *or* Do I wait until Merom comes out in the hopes that I can still fetch a decent value for my aging lappy *and* that there are no major Merom-based bugs?

    Now to address the problem more generally (read: to answer your question from my perpective)...

    1. If you're "new computer" funding is not independent of the sale of your PB (i.e. you don't have the money burning a hole in your pocket), then you should consider selling your PB while the gettin' is still good. Get what you can get for it and choose between the MBP and the MB.

    2. If you're like me and are deathly afraid of Apple pushing the Rev.B (Merom) MBPs to glossy screens *ONLY*, as in you don't have a matte screen choice anymore...then decide if the MBP is for you soon and buy a Rev.A in matte now!

    3. If you don't necessarily need a new MBP right now and can get along with your PB for a bit longer (until Merom) *AND* you don't mind running the risk of having to deal with the possible Merom bugs for the first few months after release, then wait. Period.

    Here's where it becomes blurred for me...I am aware of the Rev.A 17" bugs; however, in the grand scheme of things they are minor and will get worked out. I don't *need* a new MBP right now, but I will soon enough and if Merom causes issues, then it may cause me to wait longer than I am able to afford to, to get a new MBP... :(

    Having said that, you do what works best for you as the others said...and good luck to you! :)
  17. Legacy macrumors 6502

    Jul 27, 2005

    I doubt it doesnt, if a PowerBook/iBook can run FCP/Aperture with Hardware check disabled I'm sure a GMA950 can hammer it with a Core Duo backing the processing...this is all just Apple gimmick to encourage MB Pro sales.
  18. daneoni macrumors G4


    Mar 24, 2006
    True. look around the forum, there is a MacBook user running Final Cut Pro very well. its not the best performer but it definately works
  19. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816


    Dec 1, 2005
    Noooooo. Please no. Meroms in August. How far is that? There is no way OP can waste his money on a MBP now. He already has a PB 17". I m sure it`s still very fast. He can go with it for an year atleast. Cant wait for only 82 days. ie Aug 7. I m 99.9% sure you`ll have Meroms in MBP this August. Unless intel screws up and delys the Meroms.

    So my vote goes for DONT BUY ANYTHING NOW AND WAIT TILL AUG. Why is that not an option in the poll:confused: .

    Unless ofcourse, You have a lot of extra money to spend.
  20. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 24, 2003
    Because it's far too sensible an option ;) :D

    I've enquired at my local Apple store about a Black MacBook. They may be in tomorrow, may be in next week.

    My 17" PB is an excellent computer and I would be only too happy to keep it (instead of buying a new machine). We'll see what happens when/if I get a call from The Apple Store :)
  21. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816


    Dec 1, 2005
    One more reason to wait till Aug. Though very unlikely but we might see a new design in MBP this Aug. I mean the current design is Great, but it`s way too old. It`ll definitely be upgraded some time soon. But I m not sure when. My predictions are:--

    10% chances: - Aug 06
    30% chances: - Jan 07
    40% chances: - Late 2007
    20% chances: - Not before 2008.

    So what I want to say is that if you wait till Aug then you have a chance(though very small) that you`ll get a new MBP design. But will it be better than the current one is not possible to predict at all. Since the current design is fantastic(looks wise) and it might be very dificult for Apple to find a something that really beats it.

    EDIT: Also there are reports of that Black coating peeling off very easily. Take a look if you havent seen it yet. An accidental encounter with a fingernail more than for this to happen. But there is this one foto only. No other reports of this happening yet though.
  22. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 24, 2003
    I'm going to go and have a look at a Black MacBook tomorrow (read: there's a 99.9% chance I'll be buying one) :rolleyes:

    Sorry guys... :p
  23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030


    May 18, 2004
    I saw a black macbook at an apple store yesterday.............fingerprints show really easily on that flat finish.
  24. andym172 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 24, 2003

    As expected, I did buy a Black MacBook and damn sexy it is too :D

    Am currently draining the battery before a full re-charge.

    One thing I have noticed is that it NEEDS more RAM. Shame the stuff is so bloody expensive over here in the UK. Anybody recommend where to purchase aside from Crucial?
  25. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816


    Dec 1, 2005
    Congrats Bro. Me too wanted a black one at first. But as luck had it, I had to be satisfied with the white only. I had no other choice at all. But now that I have White in my hand I dont have any complaints with it.

    Anyways, Dont forget to keeps us updated with your experiences with the All BLACK MB.

Share This Page