which to do first - iLife5 or Tiger?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hoven, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Hoven macrumors regular

Aug 19, 2003
    Columbus, OH (USA)
    Hi all,
    I have an eMac which is running OS X 10.2 and iLife4.
    I don't have the cash to upgrade to both iLife5 and Tiger at the same time.
    So, I was wondering which I should do first.

I noticed in some of the threads here that by doing a clean install of Tiger you loose your iLife apps, so that would lead me to think I should by iLife5 first. Later, when I get Tiger, I will have the iLife5 discs to reinstall those apps.
    Of course, that begs the question about what kind of OS X upgrade to do, but that's another issue (and I know there are a bunch of threads out there for that).

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2005
    Ok, list of pros and cons. that's how i'd decide.

Do you use iLife a lot? Are the new feature worth buying the latest version?

Do you find any of the new features in 10.3 and 10.4 appealing? Do they sound like something you'd like to use?

Start rating which one has the most appealing features that you'd use the most.

I personally never use iLife so ... i haven't even purchased '05 yet, and if i did i'd only use one app (iMovie). I can't justify $80 for one tiny little app that i'd barely use.
  3. sigamy macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    NJ USA
    You probably can afford both--if you look around.

I've seen people selling full retail copies of Tiger for around $60 and iLife 05 for $30. Check the Marketplace forum or better yet, sign up for the Swap list at http://www.lowendmac.com.

Just make sure you are buying legal versions with a standard license.
  4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

Mar 17, 2003
    If you can, I'd wait and buy them both together because you're likely to get a deal that way.

Otherwise I'd buy Tiger, but that's just a personal opinion. My reasoning would be that you use the iLife apps for specific purposes and shut them down, but Tiger runs everything on your computer so you'd see a benefit in everything you do.

Interesting question, btw.

5. applerocks macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2005

I think you have to buy tiger first, or buy them together as I don't believe that iLife '05 works works with 10.2. It's minimum system requirements the last time I checked included having Panther.