Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cameron604

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 5, 2016
I need a new iPhone. My current one is scrap metal.

The 7 Plus seems too big for me, but I can't ignore the benefits:
- useful screen for reading word docs, PDF's, articles
- dual camera
- better battery life

The portrait mode (depth of field effect) is somewhat lacklustre. I tried it in store, and it bugged up about 25% of the time on still shots that were taken correctly.

I've gotten to play with the regular 7 as well. I like the size in the hand, but I can't help but think I'll be missing out on the extra screen size, and 'telephoto' lens.

But then my pocket... not sure if it's big enough!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

- dual camera
- better battery life

The portrait mode (depth of field effect) is somewhat lacklustre. I tried it in store, and it bugged up about 25% of the time on still shots that were taken correctly.

I've gotten to play with the regular 7 as well. I like the size in the hand, but I can't help but think I'll be missing out on the extra screen size, and 'telephoto' lens.

The discussion about this kind of thing at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/im-torn-7-vs-7-plus.2012992/ might be of some help.

Cameron604

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 5, 2016
I saw the Google Pixel XL today. Pretty cool phone. Did not realize how well built it is. Really does feel like an iPhone competitor. If Google worked out their Google Drive to not look so cluttered when you add photos to it, I might be leaning even more to a Google phone. It's the first Android phone that feels like a clean competitor.

The Samsung phones (even the newest edge) were lagging in store. Literally swiping left and right had delay... on a brand new phone. Shameful. My dad asked me "Wouldn't you consider a Samsung?" I said, "My last two phones before my iPhone were Samsungs. They were terrible. And now Samsung has exploding phones."

ipulsecases

Suspended
Dec 9, 2016
DFW,Texas
I saw the Google Pixel XL today. Pretty cool phone. Did not realize how well built it is. Really does feel like an iPhone competitor. If Google worked out their Google Drive to not look so cluttered when you add photos to it, I might be leaning even more to a Google phone. It's the first Android phone that feels like a clean competitor.

The Samsung phones (even the newest edge) were lagging in store. Literally swiping left and right had delay... on a brand new phone. Shameful. My dad asked me "Wouldn't you consider a Samsung?" I said, "My last two phones before my iPhone were Samsungs. They were terrible. And now Samsung has exploding phones."
the original Android is a fun thing . I used to have Nexus 4 , it still works smoothly for my little cousin .
the Nexus 6 is still a beast
but no others , the DIY system sucks

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
7 Plus, 7 Plus, 7 Plus! The display alone is worth it to me. Not to mention the amazing battery life, dual lens camera, and 3GB of ram for future iOS iterations. It's a beast, literally and figuratively. Once you get over that, it doesn't seem too bad in the pocket, ect.

ipulsecases

Suspended
Dec 9, 2016
DFW,Texas
7 Plus, 7 Plus, 7 Plus! The display alone is worth it to me. Not to mention the amazing battery life, dual lens camera, and 3GB of ram for future iOS iterations. It's a beast, literally and figuratively. Once you get over that, it doesn't seem too bad in the pocket, ect.
even with an Otterbox defender box ?

Cameron604

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 5, 2016

The big disappointment for me was finding out the dual lens system is pretty buggy for portrait mode. Hoped for more out of that. But it still seems to offer a lot.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
If you use camera a lot then go for iPhone 7 Plus and if you don't go for iPhone 6S Plus,it's still a great phone and you won't miss much.the iPhone 6s plus is much more VFM than iPhone 7 plus

Warcake

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
ive always been a fan of smaller phones which is why i got the 7, but i got a chance to hold the 7plus the other day(always assumed it would be too big so i dismissed it as a choice right off the bat) and now im kinda wishin i shoulda went with it. oh well.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
ive always been a fan of smaller phones which is why i got the 7, but i got a chance to hold the 7plus the other day(always assumed it would be too big so i dismissed it as a choice right off the bat) and now im kinda wishin i shoulda went with it. oh well.

Once you adjust to the Plus model, the size factor will be negated and you become accustomed real quick in my opinion.

Warcake

macrumors regular
May 20, 2013
Once you adjust to the Plus model, the size factor will be negated and you become accustomed real quick in my opinion.

Actually it already felt pretty okay in the hands. Not as massive as I had expected. Well, if I ever get one in the future I'll make sure to place it in the thinnest case possible. Don't need the extra bulk.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I upgraded from a iPhone 6 to an iPhone 7 Plus this afternoon. I went to Best Buy and held the iPhone 7 Pus for the first time. I was surprised that it didn't feel awkward like I thought it would. I used it for a while as well as placing it in my front jeans pocket. After my in store testing, I knew that the larger phone was for me. I also switched from Sprint to Verizon today. A win, win for me. :)

If you are on the fence, I encourage you to get hands on with the phone.

Last edited:

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Just upgraded from a 6s Plus to 7 Plus, the 7 Plus was supposed to be the only iPhone upgrade I sat out. I've had every iPhone since the original in 2007 (only one I saved too). I got the Black 7 Plus and immediately noticed I did not have to have a case on it to stop it from sliding out of my hand. My 6s Plus was always in a case, just so I could hold it. I never used a case on any iPhone until the 6s Plus and expected I would with the 7 Plus. I can use my 7 Plus with one hand and naked. It doesn't slide out of my hand like the 6s Plus always did and looks great (black on black just looks like screen and case melt into each other) and grippier feel makes it a nice upgrade .

Last edited:

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
When I switched from 5s to 6 plus it took me two weeks to get completely comfortable. Since have had the 6s plus and now 7 plus. I could never go back to smaller again. You learn to work with pockets,pants, jackets, suit coats, shirt top pocket.

CYKBC

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014

It's going to become massively dated once the 8 comes out.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
I saw the Google Pixel XL today. Pretty cool phone. Did not realize how well built it is. Really does feel like an iPhone competitor. If Google worked out their Google Drive to not look so cluttered when you add photos to it, I might be leaning even more to a Google phone."

Google Drive is cleaned up for photos. It called Google Photos. pretty much Google photos for Android took the Apple Photos design. Actually works pretty well on android but it is terrible on the desktop in my opinion. Inuse it for work and I think it's acceptable but for personal use I still prefer apple photos and the Apple ecosystem to create with my photos.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

- dual camera
- better battery life

I'm having trouble deciding myself. Currently have a 6. There's no doubt for me that the 6 size is best. I tried a 6S plus for around 4 weeks and don't like the size but loved the size of the screen.

What I like about the size of the 6 / 7 is I can easily carry it in my pockets without it sticking out especially my work cargo pants. The 6S plus sticked out too much from the cell phone pocket on my work cargo's. When I wear jeans the 6 is just easier to carry around. The 6S plus was too bulky. Someone suggested a holster but I don't wear belts as I'm on the slim side and don't like wearing belts.

On the other hand the screen size on the 6s plus was AWESOME. I watch and stream lots of stuff and you can't beat the screen size.

So I like the form factor of the 7 way better yet I like the screen size of the plus way better.

If I was more stationary at my job like sitting at a desk then there would be no doubt I would get a plus. But I'm always mobile and on my feet doing light labor like bending down and climbing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.