Which to keep? Please help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kmarketing, Apr 8, 2006.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I've recently gotten good deals on 2 laptops. $500 for 1ghz 15" aluminum powerbook, and $400 for a 1.2ghz 12" ibook.

The 15" is in great condition with a replaced screen but has the lower memory slot issue.
    The ibook works perfectly and the only issue is that the palmrest is dirty, but I definitely can replace it myself.

My sole purpose right now is to keep a cheap laptop until the newer ones come out and are reliable. So i want to keep the one that will give me the most resale value at the end of this. I don't know how much the lower memory issue drops the value of the powerbook.

In terms of portability and such, both are fine for me. In terms of screen size, when I really need to get work done i do it on my g5 with 20" ACD.

I know that for either one, I can make some money by selling them.
    Which would you keep and why?
    Thanks!!

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Well the fact that both a 12" and a 15" are equally portable to you makes my point moot. I'd take the 12" iBook because it's smaller, lighter (I don't know for a fact), and newer.

3. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

One thing you could try for the dirty palmrest is the Mr.Clean Magic Eraser. It works great.
    If I were you I would sell the Powerbook and keep the iBook. The lower ram slot issue will definitely lower the value, and that being so you would probably get more now as opposed to later.

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'd keep the iBook, simply because it's newer. Maybe check out eBay and see what both machines generally go for.

5. iShane macrumors 6502a

Yea check eBay. I personally would keep the PowerBook.

6. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

thanks for the replies. It looks like the aluminum still goes for more, probably because of the screen. The only thing is that I haven't seen any that have the lower memory issue, or at least its not advertised.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'd like to only keep one of them.

thanks!

7. kmarketing thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

thanks to everyone to help with a tough decision. I actually sold the ibook just a couple of hours after I posted this question to you. Made over a couple of hundred on it.

Thanks for your help!