Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmj102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Canada
I've been using uTorrent 1.8.4 for quite some time. I was wondering if I should be updating it, but I don't want to get a version with ads. Is it a bad idea to stay with an older torrent client version? What are you using?

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
I love Transmission. It's light and simple.

"Transmission is an open source, volunteer-based project. Unlike some BitTorrent clients, Transmission doesn't play games with its users to make money:

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I used µtorrent. I used to like it more in early versions. It used to be micro with lots of settings to make it behave exactly like you want. It has all the features but now its a bit annoying with its installer. I preferred the stand alone windows version.
Transmission is just a dumber more basic torrent client. Fire and forget style. I never liked it. Once you are used to something like µtorrent, transmission is just not an option.

M@C

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2015
Transmission, because it's the best one and without ads, spyware, payware etc.

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
qbittorrent now that utorrent has started giving me trouble. Transmission has always been problematic for me as well for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.