Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barca bear

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Scotland
I get what people are saying about OITNB s3. I found it a bit slow, and felt like the whole season was actually about setting up for s4.

Currently binge watching Nashville on Amazon. Good show, especially for music fans.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I get what people are saying about OITNB s3. I found it a bit slow, and felt like the whole season was actually about setting up for s4.

Currently binge watching Nashville on Amazon. Good show, especially for music fans.

My wife watches Nashville. I like the female leads - Hayden Panettiere (the cheerleader from Heroes) and Connie Britton (wife in Friday Night Lights), but just could not get into the whole music/drama thing.

Reactions: barca bear

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I've been watching Breaking Bad when I've had time over the last month. Almost done with the series. I'm down to 4 or 5 episodes left. Good show.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Don't know if there are any Anime fans in this thread, but I just started "Attack on Titan", about six episodes in. Saw they were making a live action movie which got me interested in it. I can say, I am digging it!!!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I tried some anime series but the only one that got me hooked, but really hooked! at that, was Cowboy Bebop.

So I guess you recommend it, rhett?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I tried some anime series but the only one that got me hooked, but really hooked! at that, was Cowboy Bebop.

So I guess you recommend it, rhett?

Very much so! The version I am watching is subtitled, I don't know if that makes a difference for you or not. Just to give you some background of some of the stuff I like:

To name a few:

Patlabor
Vampire Hunter "D"
Ninja Scroll
Robotech/Macross Plus
Battleship Yamato

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Hm, I saw Vampire Hunter D, you know the original? I prefer that one by quite some bit..but was entertaining of course. That wasn't a series though, right?

Gotta check out the others you've mentioned. Ninja Scroll sounds not totally unfamiliar. You know Cowboy Bebop though? If not, that should be worth a try - so much style and I really dig the characters and art direction.

edit: oh, and Jin-Roh was great too! No series either though.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I remember seeing the original Vampire Hunter D many years ago. It was an interesting tale. The whole hand thing was really weird though and they never fully explained that from what I recall.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Hm, I saw Vampire Hunter D, you know the original? I prefer that one by quite some bit..but was entertaining of course. That wasn't a series though, right?

Gotta check out the others you've mentioned. Ninja Scroll sounds not totally unfamiliar. You know Cowboy Bebop though? If not, that should be worth a try - so much style and I really dig the characters and art direction.

edit: oh, and Jin-Roh was great too! No series either though.

You are correct, Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter "D", the original is a movie. I believe there is another one, called Vampire Hunter Bloodlust, but I have not seen that one. Of course Akira and Ghost in the Shell is also on the list. I haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, I should see if it is on Netflix! Trigun is another one that I have seen. Haven't seen all the episodes but, I did like what I saw.

Sorry to derail, I know this is a series not movie thread.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Ya, the hand was funny. I liked it. ;)

I stand corrected: Vampir Hunter D is the original (Bloodlust being the successor), I thought the first was only calle dVampire Hunter without the "D".

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
You are correct, Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter "D", the original is a movie. I believe there is another one, called Vampire Hunter Bloodlust, but I have not seen that one. Of course Akira is also on the list. I haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, I should see if it is on Netflix! Trigun is another one that I have seen. Haven't seen all the episodes but, I did like what I saw.

See my other comment, thought D was Bloodlust. Not bad but watchable, the original is head and shoulders above.

Right, Trigun wasn't bad. But I came from Cowboy Bebop at the time I saw it which was just way superior in any way. Both, the movie and the series. Check it out!
And, yep, not mentioning the classics like Akira and for me Ghost in the Shell (GitS: Innocence being not bad either, but the orginial is probably in my all time top ten movie list). GitS series was bland imo, couldn't bear watching it with the movie in mind.

Lot of people seem to love the Evangelion flics (not sure if there is also a series of that) but I couldn't get into it.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
See my other comment, thought D was Bloodlust. Not bad but watchable, the original is head and shoulders above.

Right, Trigun wasn't bad. But I came from Cowboy Bebop at the time I saw it which was just way superior in any way. Both, the movie and the series. Check it out!
And, yep, not mentioning the classics like Akira and for me Ghost in the Shell (GitS: Innocence being not bad either, but the orginial is probably in my all time top ten movie list). GitS series was bland imo, couldn't bear watching it with the movie in mind.

Lot of people seem to love the Evangelion flics (not sure if there is also a series of that) but I couldn't get into it.

Looks like I am going to have to sit down and watch some Cowboy Bebop!!!!

Gotcha re: Vampire.

Looking up Cowboy Bebop, seems to be in the top five, if not the top, on a lot of lists! I don't know why I never watched it, maybe I thought it was more for the kiddies! :D

On my list to watch!!!!!

Reactions: twietee

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Cool. I started with the movie, recommended by our dear user Plutonius, had an absolute blast and then waited for the series to get re-released with a great Bluray version. Which is a blast to watch as well. Don't think it matters which way around you watch it. Maybe start with the movie.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Cool. I started with the movie, recommended by our dear user Plutonius, had an absolute blast and then waited for the series to get re-released with a great Bluray version. Which is a blast to watch as well. Don't think it matters which way around you watch it. Maybe start with the movie.

Wait there is a movie too! Sweet!!!!! Thanks for the recommendation!

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Here you go:

Also tried Afro Samurai but thought it boring.

Have you tried Samurai Champloo? Well worth a look, the soundtrack is sublime.

Binging on Entourage at the moment, but I doubt I'll finish it. As soon as I start getting bored, I'm going to change tracks and finally start on Hannibal.

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
I finished Breaking Bad Monday night. I think I enjoyed season 4 the most.
I'm not sure what show I'll start on now...hmm

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
About half way through season 2 of Mad Men. Good show. Obviously not a lot of action or high drama, but it's extremely well written and certainly interesting enough to keep your attention.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Finished up Jericho last night. Not a bad show. The first couple episodes were kind of annoying but it got better. Just as I was really getting into it the show ends. 2 seasons is all and season 2 is just 7 episodes. At least the show got a decent, proper ending. I hate it when shows get cancelled and you never get an ending..

Started getting back into Alcatraz tonight. Another short lived show, 1 season is all.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I've been binging on Nathan For You, a mocumentary in which a fictionalized host presents "struggling" businesses with outlandish or underwhelming ideas to make more money. Here's a clip of the host conclusively proving that confidence is more important than qualifications in an interview:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.