which type of Mac can I buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sampay, Jul 22, 2006.

1. sampay macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2006
    dear Mac people

I am a Phd student in Durham Univ. UK and i would like to buy a laptop Mac for this reason:

People told that is stable, reliable , doesn't crash so often like Windsow.

But I know Windsow, and Linux quite well, so i need to put both Linux and Windwos in Mac.

for example iMac allow me to do this, or only MacBook or MacBook Pro, what is the real differents between MacBook and MacBook Pro?

so summary: I need Linux , Windsow in Mac and I need a very fast computer in order to run matematical calculation.

thanks in advace for every kind advice

Matteo Nasi
  2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    An iMac, macbook and macbook pro would all let you run windows and linux. If you need to do any 3D working or games then either get the macbook pro or the iMac. I would suggest the Macbook pro since you are a student, so you could bring it to class. I would suggest waiting til August 7th because the macbook pros may get an upgrade. Also Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/) will let you run windows and linux on your mac through a virtual machine, which should be fine for most programs (but not games, but you can use bootcamp for games). Also since you are a student you can get the student discount from apple when you buy it.
  3. tominated macrumors 68000

Jul 7, 2006
    Queensland, Australia
    The differences with the mb & mbp are that
    -MBP has ATI graphix and MB has inbuilt graphix
    -MBP has 15" and 17" screens but the MB only has a 13" screen
    -MBP has a better processor and hard dirve
    -MB has a cooler looking case
  4. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    if you where to go ahead and purchase a Mac, then i strongly recommend you find/obtain an NUS card. They offer a rather substantial discount and also give you 3 years warentre instead of 1
  5. REDSRT4 macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2006
  6. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Also you might want to buy Mellel, nicest word processor I've seen in a while.