Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek77

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2006
I am an iMac G5 (iSight) user and am finally going to upgrade my RAM. Crucial has a gig of RAM for $165. However, I went to Microcenter and they have different brands for much cheaper. For instance, there was Buffalo for $100. Are these brands reliable or should I go for crucial and Kensington which are much more expensive? Thanks!:confused:

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Hoo-boy, that's a loaded question. Your best option would be to do a forum search on this, as it's a topic that's been brought up a million and one times. I personally don't mind ordering RAM from places like newegg.com (as long as it has reviews from other Mac users), but most people here would recommend Crucial, datamem.com, or macsales.com since they have RAM that's certified to work in your Mac. I have never had any problems with third-party RAM, but there are people who claim they have, so you know. If the savings are worth the risk to you, go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.