Which Verizon plan combination would best fit my needs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SunnyRenegade33, Nov 18, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Nov 16, 2012
    Right now, my contract with another carrier is ending. I haven't updated my phone in 70 months... yes, since 2008 and I'm definitely ready for a change.

I'm very interested and excited to get an iPhone 4S, and I also plan on switching to Verizon Wireless as a service provider.

My needs:

- I'm leaving a family plan and changing to an individual plan with Verizon
    - I don't talk on the phone that much monthly (under 500 minutes)
    - I text a fair bit, depending on the month (probably want unlimited)
    - I plan on using about 3GB of data monthly (first month will be a test trial)
    - I want to be able to cheaply turn my iPhone 4S into a mobile hotspot to tether data/internet access to my iPad
    - I will be using my iPhone for mainly talk, text, emails, Siri, very brief internet browsing, and applications
    - I will be using my iPad for internet browsing the internet, watching pre-downloaded movies (no streaming), applications, e-books/newspapers, Facebook, Skype, Facetime

Which plan would be best for me? Also, assuming that I accidentally run over the data limit, what are the penalties? When do you begin to get throttled?
  2. macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2006
    I'd recommend that you get an iPhone 5 rather than 4S.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 16, 2012
    I don't like it, for aesthetic reasons. Plus, wouldn't that cost me more as opposed to the $99.00 for the iPhone 4S under 2 year contract?

What plan would you recommend, though?
  4. macrumors 6502

Nov 27, 2010
    The iphone plans on verizon all come with unlimited talk and text. Your only real choice is how much data you want. I believe that once you go over your data amount, they charge you $15 per gig of overage. I dont think verizon throttles data, but I could be wrong about that.
  5. macrumors regular

Sep 16, 2012
    Just as the above poster said, your only "real" choice is choosing a data plan that fits your usage. Also, hotspot capability is included now.

I think their basic minimum data plan is 4GB, so you should be good.
  6. macrumors 6502

Nov 27, 2010
    The lowest data from verizon is 350 megs, its 10 bucks more for 1 gig though, 20 more for 2 gigs.

Its 40 for the unlimited talk and text. its additional:

50 for 1 gig of data
    60 for 2 gigs
    70 for 4 gigs
  7. macrumors member

Nov 1, 2012
    Verizon does throttle their data. As for the ipad, is it wifi only? cause if not you have to pay $10 a month to put that on the plan with the $40 for a smart phone and then $70 for your 4gb data plan. So before taxes your looking at $120 (or $110 w/o the ipad on the plan) ...add another $15-$20 for taxes and your looking at close to $150. The best way to go about it is to get someone else on the plan with you and get the 8gb plan, which is $90, and split the bill. You'll save about $20-$30 a month.