Which version of iApps come with Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by destroyboredom, Apr 12, 2005.

1. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

UPDATE: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?promo=ExperienceMore

I guess not. :(

Anyone know if Tiger will include the iLife '05 vers. of the Apps? I would think it should.

I know when I ordered Panther, the iApps were included (i believe) and I could do clean installs with just the Panther disc. (not my Jaguar discs that came with the system) This was before ilife '04 came out.

Right now I have a fairly new PM that came with ilife '04 and '05 was released after I bought the system.

Sorry if this has been asked, if so I didn't see the post.

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

as discussed about 80 times now. iLife is seperate. meaning no iLife, however you will probably get iTunes since it's a free download. But the other apps are not going to be there, no iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, or Garageband.

3. destroyboredom thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks man. I must have missed the the other 80 times.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I kinda wish Apple would offer a discount, combined Tiger/iLife upgrade option. It seems like it would have a fair market. But aaagh, Logik's right -- I *didn't* miss the other 80 times, and it's a dead horse being beaten....

5. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

You mean 79; I think you were number 80.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Actually, it will come with iPhoto and iMovie at the least, just not the newest version. My panther CD's have iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie on them. They were the pre iLife 04' versions.

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Is that a good thing? I think not.

8. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

No, it will not come with older versions of the iLife apps. They're totally separate now! And please, check out Tiger's tech specs to find out what is and is not coming with Tiger.
    -Chase

9. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I just check the Tiger tech specs page, what the heck is Grapher under the Utilities area? There's no link for it and I don't have it on my computer.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They do! You have to get iWork as well though. Seems to only be on the US store at the moment. Tiger+iLife '05+iWork = $249

That's a whole $38 off!

11. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Are you sure this is not simply because those pather CD's are your system startup CD's from when you got your mac?

Grapher is the replacement for graphical calculator that was in OS 9. As you may, or may not know, this graphic calculator was pretty decent for a free app. I did fourier series and everything!

wwooden, haw long have you been using Macs?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...interesting.... Thanks! :) I'm not sure I want iWork, though. I think what I ought to do is buy Tiger with educational discount and then maybe get next year's iLife, since I still basically only want it for the new iPhoto.

13. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Agreement

Exactly my thoughts. Having just shelled out for Office (yes, I know, but i needed equation editor and excel and stuff), I'm not about to buy iWork!
    Personally, I felt let down when iLife '05 when no upgrade to iTunes was apparrent, so i didn't buy it. I think apple could do a lot worse that give Mac users a few months head start on iTunes. I just couldn't understand:
    GarageBand 2 (+1)
    iMovie 5 (+1)
    iPhoto 5 (+1)
    iDVD 5 (+1)

iTunes 4.7.1 (+0.0.0)!

As someone who regularly uses iTunes & iPhoto, but doesn't use the others very often, iTunes 5 on the disc (say a week or two before the download) would probably have pushed me into iLife 05.
    I know iTunes is free, so maybe my point is not too great (using only 1 of the 4 apps on the disc regularly), But maybe there is room for a program like iTunes-pro for people who want that much more control and power included with iLife. (Features could be a better output equaliser (like volumelogic), more codecs supported etc.)

What do other people think?

14. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Right, but the pre-iLife04 versions were free anyway, so including them was no big deal.

both Tiger and iLife05 will come with new computers. But those are two separate software packages for those who have to purchase.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If such a thing was included in iLife, it would probably greatly increase my desire to stay current, since its far and away the app from iLife I use the most. I'm not sure why iTunes hasn't received a major upgrade any time recently. Possibly because of the added complexity of keeping it Windows and iPod compatible? But iTunes has gotten some good new features through the store. There were no music videos when I first got iTunes.

16. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

About those music videos...

P.S. There's a way for downloading those music videos from the iTMS. It's a script you can get that puts it onto your HD (desktop) Google it!
    P.P.S. I've been using iTunes since version 1.0, and i've seen just how good it's got!

17. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Those are definitely my Panther install CD's, not the ones that came with my computer. I can put a picture of the side of the Panther Box and it says iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie as all included apps.
    I've been using Macs all my life, I just never noticed the graphic calculator in OS 9. I never needed it back then, and only in college have I had the need for such a powerful math program. I used Mathematica when I was using OS 9 to do all that stuff, now I use Matlab.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you have a different boxed edition than this one:

[​IMG]

19. Bear macrumors G3

Actually the Panther install CDs did have the last free versions of iMove and iPhoto on them. Remember Panther came out before iLife'04 when they made iMovoe & iLife paid applications.

When iLife first came out in 2003, the only application you had to buy it for was the iDVD upgrade. The rest were available for free download.

So yes Panther came with iMovie & iPhoto (& iTunes of course) but now that the only iLife application that is free is iTunes, that is the only one shipped with Tiger.

[I wonder how many more threads about iLife and what ships with Tiger we're going to see, there have been several already.]